1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Keeping head steady

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by rickk55, Oct 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rickk55

rickk55 Member

Was shooting some practise trap today and started working on keeping my head still. I am a golfer also and sometimes that is my swing thought. For some reason I started using that as my shooting thought and it seemed to work wonders. Does anyone have any input on the importance of keeping your head still when trap shooting. Thanks Rick

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

I can't help much. I have great difficulty keeping a steady head in many situations.

Pat Ireland

3. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Keep your head on the stock and eyes on the bird.

Set your feet, mount the gun, cheek the gun, assume your hold point, focus eyes at infinity, see the bird, shoot the bird, follow through with your swing.

Your head will follow your stock.

Swing with your waste as much as possible.

I shoot best when I move quickly to the target.

Be aware of the wind, any wind. It will lift targets up or push them down or speed them up or slow them down on angle birds.

Forget about everything else except the target.

Keep your eyes on the target and swing through the target.

In golf, you swing on a stationary target. In trap, the target is unpredictable (except doubles) and moving.

Trap is not golf. You are shooting for a high score, not a low score.

Ed Ward

4. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Ed, It's when your golf scores are meeting your shooting scores that you realize things are sliding down hill fast. Shoot often while we can, Bob

5. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Bill McGuire is a top sporting clays shooters. In his instructional video he emphasizes keeping your head and eyes steady. A steady head and eyes keep the background still so target is the only moving object that catches your eye.

6. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

rick55

Sent you a PM

7. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

A steady head if you mean keeping it stationary doesn't apply to trap shooting, bullseye shooting yes but not trap shooting. You want your head to become part of the stock and it and your eyes to move where you point the stock, really that's wrong you want your head, stock, and barrel to move as a unit to where your eyes take them. At least in my case if I can do that the birds get smoked.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.