1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Keeping head on stock problems

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Rufus80, Sep 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rufus80

Rufus80 TS Member

Am having problems keeping my head on the stock. Have had friends tell me that they don't know how I hit what I hit with the amount of distance they see between the stock and my cheek. Am considering an add on rib. Thinking behind it is that raising the rib and comb would put my head in an upright position so that it is less likely that my head will move from my stock. Who makes a good add on rib?

2. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Stock could be too long for you, and/or the top of the comb in relationship to the drop of the recoil pad (heel) on your shoulder does not have a great enough distance. I would hope that your cheek is firmly on the stock.

If you are shooting a field stock for trap, then I could see the problem. Field stocks slope down front-to-rear. Many a good trapshooter who shoots a fairly high stock can have problems shooting a field gun in the field due to this old, antiquated design based on 195econometricscs. I shoot a high stock for 27 yards, and have for 30 years. There is no way on earth I could successfully shoot a field stock pheasant hunting. If I mounted the field gun with my eyes closed, when openednd them, I'd be staring at the back of the receiver and no rib is sight. Of course, each person's physical makeup is different, and this is a serious factor. What works for me probably won't work for you.

If you mount your gun with your eyes closed, standing erect and not creeping ahead on the stock, when you open your eyes everything should be perfect. If you have to juxtapose your head, then the gun does not fit you.

A rule of thumb is abthumb'shumg's distance between your nose and thumb on the stock.

I would never consider changing ribs, only raising or lowering the comb. Furthermore, the idea of the "Figure 8" also went the way of the fiber wad. Raise the comb to get the POI you need, and hopefully the Drop-at-Heel" is sufficient for the butt to be high enough to prevent you from raising your head.

whizwhite_2008_0203289.jpg

This photo is really not relavent as it addresses changing POI. I included it more to show that a rib changes POI only a small amount because POI really only concerns the front bead and you eyes above the butt-stock. You can argue all you want about high ribs, but the line-of-sight in relationship to the angle of the barrel is all that affects POI.

Whiz

3. Star4Ever

Star4Ever Member

Place a dollar bill between your comb and your cheek when you mount the gun. After each shot, if the bill drops to the ground it is up for grabs by squad members.... if it stays... you get to use it again and again...

I bet you that in SHORT ORDER you will no be lifting your head.

This technique has worked many times....

And, if the $1 bill technique does not work... move UP to $5 or $10 bills....

Lastly... is this gun actually fitting you?
    Does it or has it in the past slapped your cheek with recoil?

4. himark

himark Well-Known Member

I like the dollar bill trick!!! Also try and keep a extra firm grip on the gun and pull it back into your shoulder harder. This helps keep your head down to.

5. irnctystamp

irnctystamp TS Member

Get your eyes checked. Maybe you are lifting your head because you don't see the target

6. shoot em all

shoot em all Member

Check the pitch. This makes a difference if it is zero or negative. I shoot high rib guns and without proper pitch they did not work for me. Good luck. jim w

7. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

I'll bet you would not lift your head nearly as much if that bill was a 50.00 dollar bill. Wild bill

8. Rufus80

Rufus80 TS Member

To answer the questions so far, the gun is a Browning Citori XT with an adjustable comb. The lenght of pull is factory. The gun has never really smacked my cheek. I have had other people tell me about the dollar bill trick and they said it worked.

9. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

A long piece of line and two fish hooks would also probably work.

Steve

10. ImpalaBob

ImpalaBob Member

http://www.instructorsight.com/product/xxx-111

This might help you .... fiber optic sight that shows when you raise your head.

I do like the dollar bill trick above. :)

11. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

Rufus - I shot with an old guy who mounted his gun so low on his shoulder that you could see the toe of the buttstock under his armpit. Needless to say, he had a heck of a time with consistency, due to raising his head, among other problems. He was so hunched over and uncomfortable on the gun that about 1/2 way through the round, he would start to straighten up and lift his head. We told him to mount the gun higher on his shoulder, but he never did, and never became any more consistent, either. He put on a raised rib and raised the comb, but mounted the gun even lower on his shoulder. He was used to that mount and sight picture, so that was what he was going to use!

The point of the story is: If your mount is wrong, a new rib won't help much. When you raise your gun to your shoulder prior to shooting, rather than putting it to your shoulder and then raising the comb to your cheek, try pushing the gun out in front of yourself, then bring it in on your cheek, before it hits your shoulder. If that puts it too high up on your shoulder to be comfortable, try raising the elbow of your trigger hand parallel (or nearly so) with the ground, which will raise your shoulder a little, then push the gun out front and bring it in on your cheek. That should give you a more natural feeling mount, with your head up straight on your neck, so you won't be unconciously lifting it all the time. If the above method doesn't work, try the $5.00 bill trick, and if that doesn't work, a length of fishing line with a hook on both ends, cut to the correct length, and attached to your top lip and your scrotum will definitely work!

12. Hivoltfl

Hivoltfl Member

EPOXY works for me, it aslo saves time in the morning since my beard no longer groes on the left side of my face ;-)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
hard keeping head on comb trap shooting
keep problems head on
keeping head on stock
keeping head on stock in skeet
keeping your head on the in skeet

skeet keeping your cheek on the stock

trap shooting how to keep cheek on stock