1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

keeping head down

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Travioli, Apr 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Travioli

Travioli TS Member

Hope someone can help and the help is greatly appreciated but it seems I have a problem picking my head up all of a sudden...well actually I am picking my head up since my scores have dropped so I am lifting my head to see the bird break anyone have agood cure for this little gremlin?

Thanks,

Travis

2. mr.mark

mr.mark Member

One of the things they taught me was to raise your elbow a little higher and this locks your cheek to the comb somewhat better. Example: your right elbow if you shoot right handed.

Thought I better throw that last little bit in there.............Mr.Mark

3. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Travis,

AS Dick mentioned, there are a number of possible causes or combination of causes for head-raising. The following are in no particular order.

1) A comb that is too low - receiver blocks the view of the rib by the eye
    2) Impact of the comb to the cheek - head raising is a defensive measure
    3) A gun mount that is too low - head and neck leaned forward and down
    4) Too little drop at the heel - same result as #3
    5) A high comb requiring excessive cheek pressure not maintained during swings
    6) Simple bad habit of wanting to see targets break - most common on straight-
    aways

Number 2, impact by the comb, also has a number of possible causes. The comb can be too narrow, the cheek can be making contact with the comb improperly due to other ill fitting stock dimensions or the comb can be at the wrong height, either too high or too low. Both can cause the head to be raised as a defensive measure.

Rollin

4. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

All of the above,

And maybe, one other thing,

The bug that bit me Saturday, swinging past the bird and it is easier to lift my head then to force the gun back down.

Swing slower see the bird better, lock head into gun as much as possible!

Al

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

This is the most common problem among trapshooters. There are many different reasons why we lift out heads. It could be a stock problem as described by Rollin. It could be a vision related problem. It is easier to see the bird with your head off the stock. My most common mistake that causes my head to go up is not moving my upper body as a single unit. If I swing (swing a shotgun, that is)using only my shoulders and arms, I actually push the gun away from my face. Not gripping the gun tightly and pushing it up into my face is the second most common thing I do that makes my head go up. Shooting a bit too slow also gives a shooter more time to lift his head.

If you mount th gun by bringing your head down to the stock, rather than bringing the stock up to your head, head lifting happens more frequently. When you mount your gun, grip it very firmly and be conscious of the feeling of your cheek on the stock. Keep this feeling of contact until after you have shot. Don't get discouraged. You are working on the major problem that afflicts both class D and class AAA shooters.

Pat Ireland

6. Mac V

Mac V Guest

<blockquote>"...I am lifting my head to see the bird break anyone have agood cure for this little gremlin?"</blockquote>

Once the gun fits properly, the rest is discipline and attention to technique, just like any other serious training.

Trying to do this while shooting with the crowd on a weekday night is not necessarily the best way to learn it ,either.

Mike

7. Bawana

Bawana TS Member

Well you need to practic doing so. Your wife can help you do so. Have her in the same room and say something that will piss her off. For doing so she will take swing at your head. You will learn to keep your head down. Hope this helps.

8. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

"keeping head down" Or, reverse that thinkin a lil n keep the head up at the start?

What causes some shooters to have to bend the head far forward when shouldering their shotgun while others don't? I've seen some Ad's in magazines with people pointing a shotgun with the head so far forward on the comb! How in the world can they see a target climbing upwards looking out of the top of the eye sockets without raising the head? A good close up with a video will show the times that shooter raises his noggin too. A shooter has to find the cause first, then fix it. Hap

9. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

I have stood and watched many great shooters. Lots don't really lower their head into their gun. Rather, they raise their gun to their head. They shoot with their head in a more upright position. Just before they call, they may grind their cheek horizontally into the stock, but their heads never actually move.

I'm assuming that they feel if they don't lower their head, the chances of raising it off of the stock is slimmer!!??

Just my thoughts.

Danny

10. ol 12 shooter

ol 12 shooter TS Member

You might try an adjustable recoil pad so you can raise the stock to your face (by lowering the pad) without having to lower your face to the stock once the gun is shouldered. Harder to lift your head if your neck and head is straight on the gun.

ol 12

11. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

ol 12 yer right about that. Yer shootin shoulder can be raised quite a bit (inch wise) to bring the comb to cheek/bone instead of floppin yer head forward. Lookin outa the top of the eye sockets ain't too comfortable either, makes for a long day. Hap

12. JOND

JOND TS Member

During practice put a twenty dollar bill between your cheek and the stock. Tell a friend to watch you shoot practice and he can have any bill that falls to the ground. Should be a cheap lession ! JOND

13. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

If it's not a physical situation but a mental (concentration, focus, nerves, etc) cause of lifting your head, then I believe Frank Hoppe's tactic of following a piece of target (or smoke or whole target if you miss) works wonders. I'm working hard on that right now and my last thought before calling pull is "follow through". That kind of forces me to stay in the gun through the shot most of the time. Fun game, eh?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

keep your head down for trapshooting

how to keep head down shooting a shotgun

how to keep head down shooting trap

keeping head down while shooting trap

rollin oswald head lifting

trap shooting keep head down during swing

what cause someone to lift there head while shooting trap

what cause your head to lift when shooting trap