1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Keeping Gun Clubs Open

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by Smity, Jan 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smity

Smity Member

I have a meeting with a member of our State Legislature this week. One of the topics of discussion is going to be designing legislation to keep gun clubs from being closed down by local or State authorities, or otherwise driven out of business with harassment tactics, noise ordinances, environmental rules, neighbors with pitchforks and torches, etc.

There are some very knowledgeable people on this site, so I thought I would ask for your input, success stories and failure stories, tactics used on both sides, etc. I would appreciate any information you might have, and if anyone has a link to actual legislation that is working well somewhere, that would be extremely helpful.

Feel free to PM me if you have something that you would rather discuss off line.

Thanks in advance for your assistance,
    Smity

2. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Contact the folks at National Shooting Sports Foundation or the NRA ILA and get their legislative liaisons to let you know first, what is already in place within your state, to avoid traveling over the same ground again...

If there isn't protectionist legislation in place already, they may be able to tell you why and point you in a direction...

"phone first, before you go... "

Regards and good luck,

jay

3. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

Two for profit ranges in Hamilton County (Chattanooga), TN have been or currently are under attack by neighbors complaining to the local planning commission and filing lawsuits in Chancery Court. Montlake Classic Clays just reopened after being closed down for about a year. They were able to reopen after an effort to close down the range after 30+ years of operation in the same place. It took a law being passed in the Tennessee State Legislature to grandfather the range and a win in Chancery Court to reopen the range. You should call the people that own Montlake Classic Clays to find out all the particulars in how the legislation was drafted to keep the range open. State Senator Andy Berke and Senator Doug Jackson were two of the legislators pushing the legislation.

Another range, a relatively new advanced level pistol training range, is just now having problems with the neighbors. The results of this range staying open remain to be seen.

DoubleAuto

4. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

Check if your state allows local municipalities to pass envorinmental laws stricter than the state.

5. Smity

Smity Member

Thanks for the info. I found a website as part of my research. It contains all the State level shooting range protection laws in the U.S.

The link is listed above if anyone is interested.

Smity

6. capvan

capvan Active Member

A few years ago, Vermont passed a law preventing people from trying to shut down gun clubs, mostly from noise. The governor (Jim Douglas) came out with an interesting statement in support of this law saying that gun clubs were important in that they gave people a safe place to shoot. He knew Vermonters were going to shoot no matter what, and better at a gun club than their own back yard. I just thought it was an interesting viewpoint...

And there are a LOT of guns in Vermont, since there are NO state laws about guns. We just have to follow the federal regs.

Bruce

7. Bernie K

Bernie K Member

Neighbors can be a real problem. We have been at our location for the last 50 years, this year is our 50th anniversary. The club in the past ( before I was on the board) had problems with noise and the neighbors. When I joined the board 11 years ago we were still having problems. At one of the meetings it occured to me to ask a very important question. Has anyone talked directly to these folks? Answer " well no they don't want to talk to us" Next question " Has anyone tryed " Answer,"not really".
    I ask if we could get $25.00 gift cards from the largest supermarket in the area that most people use. I hand delivered them to the neighbors and explained that we enjoyed our sport as much as they do golf or baseball, and that if we could make the guns quiet we would. We started taking chicken dinners to them when we had a BBQ at the club and envited them to stop over and visit us. We give the cards at Christmas time (hand delivered) and I ask if they have any questions or problems.
    We got involved with the town and the recreation dept. for archery with the kids and hunter safety programs.
    All of the problems have gone away, we are respected in the community and donate to folks that have terminal illness.
    Try talking and getting involved not just bitching. Bernie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.