1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Keeping Breath Warm While Hunting--Heart Problems

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Charkat1, Dec 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Charkat1

Charkat1 Member

A friend of mine has always been an avid hunter. Two years ago he had a massive heart attack which forced him to retire and curtail some of his activities. He has been told to avoid inhaling cold air because of the strain it puts on the heart. He wears a scarf over his face when he's out in the cold, but is there anything like a mask which would be more effective? Although friends have supplied him with venison, he wants to continue hunting in order to put food on the table. Does anyone hunt with a similar health problem and can you offer any suggestions or ideas he might utilize?

Many thanks.
    Charlene

2. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Breath through the nose. Wear a Moldex brand work/dust mask with no valve. Wear a warm hat. Breath slowly and steadily if possible. Theory being that your noggin' is one of the hottest parts of the body.

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I have a couple masks I use for duck/goose hunting, one is white and the other is camo. there are air holes in the mouth area.

Check Cabela's or Bass Pro. They heat up the breath pretty good as I recall.

HM

4. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

Neoprene face mask...used by bikers, skiers, hunters, etc.

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&aq=0&oq=neoprene+face&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4GGHP_enUS366US366&q=neoprene+face+mask

5. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

The Subzero Warm Breath Mask

This is the fleece mask preferred by high-altitude mountaineers and Antarctic scientists because it humidifies and warms winter air for comfortable breathing.

http://www.hammacher.com/Product/78958?cm_mmc=CJ-_-2617611-_-3640241-_-Save+up+to+70%25+on+Electronics

6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    PolarWrap Face Mask

Balaclava

After my near fatal pneumonia in 2002, my lungs ached and burned when I would breath cold air because of the massive scar tissue. I used a balaclava similar to the one at the link. It worked for me. If you're in even colder weather the other one might work better.

7. Charkat1

Charkat1 Member

Thanks guys. I really appreciate your responses.

You guys really come through.

Have the Happiest and healthiest Christmas and New Year!

Charlene

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.