1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Keep Your Head Down??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by fssberson, Oct 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Biggest complaint and observation of trap shooters is: "I lifted my head." "Got to keep my head down on the comb". Why not raise the comb to your head?? Fred

2. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Because then you'll be looking down onto the top of the barrel and you'll probably end up shooting 2 feet over your targets, unless you add a raised rib, in which case you can STILL lift your head off your raised comb.

Keller

3. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I tried to get that heads up gun mount by dropping my recoil pad with the pad adjuster. After a certain point (1 inch below) the comb started to kick up into my cheek because the axis of the bore was too high relative to my shoulder. I think the only way for me to get the heads up gun mount would be to have a high rib unsingle with a serious drop at the heel and with such a setup my tendency to crossfire or shoot off the end of the barrel might be even worse.

4. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

So how much rib do you need to see? You do not have to raise your comb much to keep your head in contact with the comb [1/4 "?] Fred

5. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Gun fit, set up, eye focus/placement over the trap, etc have more to do with head lift than short ribs.

6. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Lifting or moving your head into or out of the gun represents about 90% of all lost targets. That is, once you've gotten over stopping the gun and shooting below and behind. Oh well!

7. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

having a adjustable buttplate that you can drop lower to raise the gun closer up to your cheek with your neck upright is the way to go..setting your POI is the real function of setting the comb height..from there its all practice and getting a super consistant gun mount move down

8. mike calkins

mike calkins TS Member

I solved this issue with a model 12 by adding a keen-sight rib to make the rib higher then installing an adjustable comb so that I can raise the comb height for proper sight picture for the way I shoot. This gave me a heads up eyes level mount without altering the straight back recoil, or increasing barrel flip.
    mikecalkins_2008_030318.jpg

9. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I tried that heads up mount for a while. I went back to my old ways. I found that a slight forward mount on the comb help me say in the gun and also I seemed to stay more aggressive toward the target. I will also agree with the eye focus and placement. Another thing I do is when I mount the gun I make a concise effort to tighten the recoil pad in my shoulder. Now all I have to do is break the target. lol

As Obie Wan Kenobi would say, "Be one with the gun and let the force be with you".

10. Valerie Jones

Valerie Jones Member

Fred,

One of the best pieces of advice I've gotten -- and I've received plenty -- is something you told me. You told me to stretch my neck, that that would make it awfully hard to lift my head. It works and I thank you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

keep your head down for trapshooting