1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Keep Getting Phone Calls 3am

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by dsid01, Dec 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dsid01

dsid01 TS Member

I keep getting phone calls between 3 and 4am, it always says private caller and private number. I have had at least one a week or more the last month. I'm not sure what it is or what to do about it? Anybody have any ideas?

2. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Can you block the caller? Some phones have that capability. Mike.

3. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Unplug the phone.

4. AMB

AMB TS Member

call the local police dept they can have a trace put on your phone. they will get the report then call you and see if you know the person then they will contact the person for you. the person can be charged for it if you what. Well in Mn they can.

5. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Call your phone company and file a harassment complaint. They might then file a complaint with the police or have you do it depending on their policies, or the local laws involving harassing calls. Click on the link.

Wayne

6. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

Get a referee's whistle at a sporting goods store and keep it next to your bed. When the phone rings at 3 AM, pick it up and blow (and I do mean blow hard) the whistle into the receiver. Unless the caller is a marketing machine, they will probably think twice about calling you again. You'll want to alert others in the house of your intentions so they don't awake in a panic.

Also, your phone number could be close to someone else's OR, as happened to us some years ago, we kept getting calls for a bar/restaurant whose phone number was one digit different than ours. My wife answered it once and found it was a woman trying to call the restaurant. When my wife corrected the phone number for her, we never got another call. OR, it could be pranksters, as in teenagers. If the calls always happen on the same day/night (Friday or Saturday), it might be teenagers - I'd use the whistle.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

7. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

The teenage pranks were a problem for us for a short period. I took the high road with it after denying several times that "Fred" was not a resident. From then on, whenever I'd get the giggling idots asking for Fred, I'd just say, "Sure, hang on a minute." Then I'd set the receiver down and go back to the TV. Maybe an hour or so later, I'd hang it up. This took all the fun from the bone heads and it ended pronto. BTW, my wife had a male harassment caller for a brief time and Gene's fix, the really loud whistle, solved that one quickly too .....breakemall

8. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Gene I love your solution. Mike.

9. Bernie K

Bernie K Member

Back in the 70s I was playing in a top 40 group. I got home about 3 in the morning and about 4 the phone rang and a very sexy voice said "I saw you tonight and I want to make love to you" I was so tired I yelled " are you nuts? It's 4 in the morning" and slamed the phone down. It only took a second to say out loud....What did I just do? It never happened again. Damn

10. Tdog

Tdog TS Member

You used to be able to dial *69 after the call and you would get the last number that called you. I did that once then dialed the phone and just left it off the hook for awhile. I didn't receive any more calls after that. I don't know if it would work for numbers that have there caller ID info blocked.

By the way, the police will not put a trace on your phone but they can request you phone company to do so. You'll be charged a fee for it. Last one I was aware of was about $150.00 and that was about 6 or 7 years ago.

11. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Bernie, that's too funny. Thanks for the laugh.

12. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

You have to go through a lot of legal crap just to find out from the phone company who is calling you from a private number. You can't just call up the local cops and ask them to "trace" in-coming calls. Some phone companies offer a service set up for your phone line to reject blocked calls.

13. Sharp1

Sharp1 Member

S-can your land line...got rid of mine 10 years ago. Got tired of all the telemaketers and other bs. Its funny the phone company sold our numbers in the 90's and now land lines are a thing of the past. Hmmmm

GL

14. dsid01

dsid01 TS Member

Thanks for the info guys. I will get a hold of the phone company and see what they can do for me. I don't want to get rid of our land line because cell coverage can be spotty at my house.

15. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

Anytime there's a call after midnite I answer the phone "AT&T call tracing department, got your number" They hang right up and never call back.

16. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

A little mini air horn works wonders. Jeff

17. Mike Battista

Mike Battista Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I use an inexpensive fax machine (Brother brand, $20.00) that I program to answer the call without ringing through.
    Mike Battista

18. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

Geez a friend of mine got calls at three in the morning from some woman wanting to have phone sex with him. Well he and his wife lsitened in and his wife got so very tunrned on. they could hardly wait for the girl to call back!!!!

19. Itchyb

Itchyb TS Member

My gal works at a call center. Someone blew one of those emergency boat horns in a service rep's ear. It deafened her to the point she cannot work phones anymore. Be careful, you may be the one liable. They are all instructed to answer the phones on the lowest setting now.

20. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

When I first got my cell phone, the number I was given had been used by a 20 something punk before I got it. Lots of different people calling for young Blake in the middle of the night. Some of the drunk kids would say "very funny, put Blake on the phone", and would keep calling back every time I hung up. I just shut off the ringer every night, and after about a month, the calls quit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.