1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Keep a record of guns you sell !

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by senior smoke, Aug 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    In the past 40 years I have kept records of all guns that I purchased and sold. Some good guns that I now regret selling and wish that I had them back. Some other guns that I would have paid someone to take it off my hands, as they were guns I just could not shoot. I have had some dogs for guns that if you looked at them the wrong way, they would break down.

I keep a record in my shooting bag of every gun I ever owned, who I purchased it from, the price, or who I traded, and what the deal was.

Yesterday I am at a local gun club. A man walks up to me and says " do you remember me? I lucky remember what I ate for breakfast nowadays, so I said no I don't remember you. He said you traded me a tournament grade 1100 trap 15 years ago for a 870 trap gun. He shows me the 1100, beautiful wood, in mint shape. He said do you want to buy it back as I purchased something else?

I reached for my list and looked up the serial # and indeed I find it in my records. I have written down that in 1995 I traded the guy even up for a Remington 870 TC with a 34 inch trap barrel. The 1100 I marked down was one of the poorest shooting 1100's I ever owned as the barrel shot extremely flat. I asked the guy if this gun had the same barrel as when we traded guns? He said no, that original barrel shot to flat for me, so I purchased a different barrel for it that just happens to be a 34 inch Remington trap barrel. I ask him how much for the 1100 with the 34 inch barrel on it? I than asked to shoot the gun. This same gun with this 34 inch barrel should now be classified as an authorized "smoke pole" it was scarey how hard it hit targets.

So in conclusion, suggest keep a record of what you buy and sell as you might have the opportunity in the future to buy it back. It is nice to know why you originally sold the gun and how much it was.

Steve Balistreri

2. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

I wouldn't dare keep a list like that - my wife might find it!

3. senior smoke

Kiv-c- Now that is funny, and most of us know exactly what you mean.
    Steve

4. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I should keep a record but didn't and now I worry a little about the guns I've sold possibly being used in a crime of some type. They may come back to haunt me I know. Not only would I not like my wife to see the list, I'm not sure I have that much paper laying around. LOL Jackie B.

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Steve--I collect guns in general(not just trap guns). Over the years i have made some purely bonehead trades and sales. I don't want the constant reminder of some of the guns i have let slip thru my hands. The bad thing is over the years you'd think i'd get smarter. No such luck there. I had on occasion the opportunity to re-buy some guns i let slip out of my hands and couldn't afford the new value of my old gun. I just hope i learn someday.

6. senior smoke

Grntitin:
    We have all traded or sold guns that we now wish we would have held on to.
    Steve

7. wannaz

wannaz Member

So Steve, did you buy it back?

8. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

I have a long list of guns for the past quarter of a century. Last time I looked, there's non I would buy it back. What's gone is gone, I don't miss them. Look at how many new guns out there, they are all waiting for you.

At this point of my life, things I regret that I didn't do more than the ones I did.

9. shrek

shrek Active Member

I am also curious as if you purchased the significantly improved 100 back.

10. Kyle Spieles

Kyle Spieles Member

that is a neat story :)

11. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Did you buy it back Steve? I hope you did. Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.