1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Keen Aluminum Add on Ribs

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Richiemac78, Mar 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Richiemac78

Richiemac78 Member

Would appreciate any feedback regarding above add on ribs.; like mirage, durability of the silicone adhesive and or simplicity of a do or do not do it yourself project ...thanks for any and all comments....mac gregor, ohio

2. Ontario Chris

Ontario Chris Member

I added one to my 391 a couple of months ago. Spoke with Vicki at Keen Sights and she led me through the measuring which was a sort of measure three times, cut once, process. I thought that was great. Vicki assured me that the silicone adhesive will hold firm, but that it would be possible to remove the rib if necessary.

My rib arrived in about 2 weeks cut to spec and finished in flat black. I attached it with the supplied adhesive - took about 20 minutes to put it in place and clean off the excess.

I am happy with mine and do not expect any problems.

Chris

3. Borderland

Borderland Member

Vicki at Keen sights is a pleasure to deal with...make your measurements carefully with the form you can download or call for support. I have no problem with mine and installed it myself. I made a couple of models with balsa wood to be sure of the height I needed//used black duct-tape to hold it down and shot until I was sure the height was right...I think if you need the added height and your comb allows for that much adjustment you will be happy with the results.

Ken

4. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

I used a Keen Sights add on rib on my BT99 for several years, and never had any problems with it. It went on easily, the adhesive kept it there, and when I sold the BT99, the rib came off easily - no damage to the original rib. A really great product and great folks to do business with. As suggested, it is best to try out rib heights using a strip of balas to determine what height you want/need. Then have Vicki and folks make a rib to that height for your gun.

Jim R

5. Richiemac78

Richiemac78 Member

Thanks to all for some good feedback ....now comes a dumb question....if I add approx 1/2" to the rib , breech to muzzle, no taper I would have to raise the comb 1/2 " to maintain existing POI ?

6. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Rich, get out the wood as Jim described. I used pine for what I needed. Vicki and people were great. As noted you can remove it when you want and no harm done. Good luck, Bob

7. ddrsuz

ddrsuz Member

Richie: first off dealing with KeenSignt will be easy for you, call Vicki and she will take care of you. Everything I have heard about the silicone is that it will work fine, if you are really concerned, they can utilize a screw set into your old bead hole to assist.Check out a somewhat radical example on their website, it is my Beretta 687 with a 1.5" rise on the existing rib.

Yes, you are right that as you lift the rib, if you don't taper it, you would adjust your POI, but my guess is that if 0.5" of POI makes a difference to you, you are a better shot and using a tighter pattern than anyone else on the site.

If you really are concerned about the POI, issue, just tell Vick, they seem to be able to calc. it out so there is not problem.

Mine works fine, you will like working with them.

Dennis Rinehart

8. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I've had a Keen rib on my Ljutic for several years, with no problem with the adhesive.

9. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

I sent a PM to Vickie several months ago and never got a answer. All I wanted to know was if they could provide me with, or install a rib for a Win. Mod. 12, 12ga. that has never had a rib. I'm trying to build up a mod. 12 my dad gave me when I was 16-53 years ago.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.