1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Kayak fishing

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Jimborn, May 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jimborn

Jimborn TS Member

Anyone use a Kayak for fishing??? What is the best style, and how well do they work?

2. gotbass

gotbass Member

Although more money, the only way to go is the Hobie mirage line of yaks. Peddle and save your arms for fishing. I have a Hobie Adventure rigged to fish including fishfinder. Even have rigged lite for nite fishing. Tight lines and nothing but smoke. Mike

3. SCL

SCL Member

The Hobies look great, but $2k for a kayak is a little crazy. I'll stick to my Stratos.

Scott

4. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I saw one yesterday at Dick's. Two person, 68lbs. seats, $495. It looked nice to me. But then I've never owned one. A cross between a Canoe and Kayak.

5. Tacoma

Tacoma TS Member

I fish from a variaty of yaks in both fresh and salt. With fly gear, conventional and spinning. To answer your question, would require much more info on things like I mention above as well how far your going to paddle, geographic location, physical condition etc. There is allot more to picking the right boat than you might think. Also , what works for some , may not work for you. ( For instance, many will preach that a sit on top (SOT) is best for fishing. I personally find them wet, slow, heavy and less "secure".) Feel free to PM/post details but I would recommend you visit several of the many websites dedicated to yak fishing and do some research. Lots of fun if you match the boat to your needs. Nothing like a nantucket sleigh ride in a yak!!

hth
    Dave

6. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Not the best choice for Giant Tuna though.

7. rocktire

rocktire Member

I use a sit on top and i like it but i think if i get another it will be a sit inside model, you get pretty wet with the sot.

8. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Aren't kayaks a little tough and crunchy?

9. Anthony12ga

Anthony12ga Member

I have 2 Ocean Kayaks that we use to fish the bays around Rockport TX. One is 12 ft and the other 13ft. We enjoy them. I have learned to look for fishing spots that I paddle into the wind in the morning and return going with the wind. Down here along the Texas Gulf Coast, the wind is always blowing.

anthony12ga_2008_0303157.jpg

anthony12ga_2008_0303158.jpg

anthony12ga_2008_0303160.jpg

anthony12ga_2008_0303161.jpg

10. Lou Tenant

Lou Tenant Active Member

I have a SOT Malibu Extreme. I like the SOT's as they are easier and more atable for me when launching in the surf. Great fishing platforms.

11. arend003

arend003 Member

my wife and I use our Old Dirigos to kayak and fish with .. They are great and easy to transport.
    Tom
    will use them today to do some trout fishing here in Vermont.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.