1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Kay Ohye or Phil Kiner Clinic better

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by himejim, Feb 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. himejim

himejim Member

I would like opinions from those who have taken both clinics and are willing to share opinions on which is better for experienced shooters and why. I am willing to go anywhere to attend the right clinic but would really like to have some confidence that the one I attend is a better fit for me.

Thanks for your thoughts. Jim

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

You could ask if Federal Primers are better/worse than Winchester primers and get the same answers as you will get with your above question.

Pat Ireland

3. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Jim..... You have a PM.... Dan Thome (Trap2)

4. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

I think that this thread has potential.

Ed Yanchok

5. matttrapn

matttrapn Active Member

Hello Jim,

I've not attended an Ohye clinic, soo, I will have to leave that where it's at.

I have taken Kiner clinic's, and plan to again.

Just my 2-cents,

Matt Nicol

6. berettagold53954

berettagold53954 TS Member

1st i havent taken any clinics but have had friends that went to ohye. None liked it said he doesnt just help you improve you quit shooting your way and copy him exactly. thats what 1 said another took doubles clinic very good doubles shooter but won a clinic. said he was snotty and said right away first thing u need to do is get a new gun.

7. perga1

perga1 Active Member

Kay, I don't know. Phil's clinic is great and if you don't get volumes of helpful instruction from it it's because you didn't pay attention. If I were still shooting ATA I would take it again. JRM

8. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

Another way to approach this might be to say, Leo Harrison gives a great clinic. Only take one from Kaye if you have very, very thick skin...think Paris Island D.I.

IMHO

JON

9. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

If you can't handle stress don't go with Ohye. He tends to be to direct and uses pressure tactic's.

10. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Don't know...I've only taken a couple of Kiner clinics, and had lessons with Leo, Harlan, and Dave Shaeffer. I learned a lot, and something different, from each one.

Everything said about Kiner above is true. Plus he'll throw in a few spicy laptop pictures to keep you entertained, if you are a guy.

11. SMITH47

SMITH47 Member

Pat

Federal primers with 7 1/2 shot in a K gun
    vs
    Winchester primers with 8 shot in a P gun

ernie

12. CNR

CNR TS Member

Taken Kay Ohye's twice.
    I learned things each time.
    Didn't have any problems listed above.

Gordon

13. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

The only clinic I ever went attended was Kay Ohye and it is true he teaches you how too shoot like him rather than tweaking your form.Yes a little abrasive at times but lets face it if you want hugs and kisses ask your wife what your doing wrong.

14. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I have not taken Kays clinic but have taken Phils, which I found to be educational, informative, and a little fun mixed in for good measure ... Phil doesn't try to change the way you shoot but he helps you make it work if and when possible ... I missed the "Spicy" pictures Recurvy mentioned, must of been taking more notes ... Phils DVD is probably the best investment you can make in your shooting after you take his clinic ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

15. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

Since I've taken both, as well as a D&D clinic, Shima, and Bender, I'll pipe up.

It all depends on what your issues are, how you respond to coaching types, and what you want to achieve.

For instance, Bender is a mechanic - we will teach you how he does it (and he does it well). I learned a lot from Todd. Shima on the other hand is more into the psychology of shooting, and will help you improve your specific style (were Todd will move you to his style). BOTH are valid and you learn a lot. I feel I got equally out of both - just different things.

The same holds for Kaye, Phil, & D&D. Each taught me something different, and were worth the money and trip. Each has their own style of coaching, and areas that they can help in. Frankly, I do them all. Next on my list is Nora Ross.

16. twopipe

twopipe Member

who is D & D ?

17. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

twopipe,

Dennis DeVault and Dean DeBow

18. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Kay takes favorites and tends to pay more attention to the women in the class, I was disappointed as I was neither.

19. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

I have taken clinics from both.. I can tell you that both are very good..Like anything else in life neither is perfect, but both are good. You will get out of them what you put into them...Both are hard work.

20. phirel

phirel TS Member

If you really want a clinic that you will never forget, I will be available at the Southern Grand and I work cheap.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
debbie ohye clinic

kay ohye

kay ohye biography
kay ohye clinics
kay ohye odessa clinic reviews
kay ohye trap clinic
reviews kay ohye clinic