1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Kay Ohye Clinic - Birmingham Trap Club

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by pendennis, May 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2007
    Southeast Michigan - O/S Detroit
    Kay Ohye ran his trapshooting clinic for the past two days at Birmingham Gun Club. It was attended by fifteen shooters, including me.

I had heard about his yelling and bluntness, but since this was my first foray into formal trap lessons, I was convinced to attend, with no ego, and to bring my obedience cap. I had also heard tales of completely starting you from scratch, and I dreaded that.

He put us through everything. His teaching methods are straight-to-the-point, laced with lots of parables and stories. When he says go to stations one and five, and shoot quarter-right targets, do what he says. Otherwise, you get a loud reminder.

Wednesday, we concentrated on some very fundamental things - balance, stance, grip; and he used his video recorder so everyone could see themselves as we all can't normally do. My fondest memory of this session, is that I don't believe that I'll make the portion of one of his CD's telling people what not to do.

Thursday, we concentrated on shooting drills; traps were locked down, raising and lowering launch angles, lengthening target distances, etc.

One of his stresses is seeing the target. It's amazing how we sometimes function withoug really seeing the target.

For me, the highlight of the day was late yesterday. We wound up shooting at 27 yards (I shoot 20 yards fearfully). The targets were set to fly 55 yards, and we shot three rounds at each station. I had miscounted the number of 1 1/8 oz loads in my vest pocket, and ended up having using six rounds of 1 oz for stations 5 and 1. Those were all broken cleanly using the 1-ouncers. That last round really summed up the experience, breaking 12 targets well beyond my rated distance.

He did not change my basic way of shooting trap. He did improve it. He also gave us a lot of practice drills, that were not only fun, but very instructional. Everything he does, is done for a distinct improvement in your game.

If you get the chance, take his class. It's well worth the cost. There are lots of good instructors out there. Find one, listen to him/her, practice, learn.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.