1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Kay Ohye and Corner Drills

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by gunner x, May 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gunner x

gunner x TS Member

Kay Ohye is said to teach what he describes as a Corner Drill or Corner to Corner Drill. Could someone please explain, in detail, such as where to hold
    and look,and if it is executed left to right or right to left over the trap house. How does one set up for this drill and have you found it to be beneficial in your shooting.

Thanks for Sharing,
    Gunnerx

2. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Gunnerx

"Kay Ohye is said to teach what he describes as a Corner Drill or Corner to Corner Drill."

I have never taken a Kay Ohye course but I was taught some of his Corner drills. They are quite easy to set up for. A normal gun hold on station 1 is somewhere in the area of the left hand corner of the trap house. Varying depending on the shoot(teacher)

In a corner drill your gun hold will be on the opposite corner of the trap house the right side of the trap house from station 5 you would again reverse the hold points the other stations you can vary as desired.

Beneficial let me see if you are having trouble with lefts or rights and you practice with these hold points when you come back to normal hold points for competitive trap(for score)it usually makes the angles seem easier.

Bob Lawless

3. mono1393

mono1393 Member

Corner Drill:

2 on the right corner, 2 on the left corner, 1 holding in the center of the house. Switch stations every 5 shots. Look in the same spot as normally do for each station.
    Keep eye on the target, move gun to the target, touch the target with the bead, get ahead of the target and break it.

Better yet, sign up for an Ohye class. He teaches you a lot of great exercises to boost your confidence and improve your game.

4. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

We call it Nora's Drill, in these parts.....but mono1393 has it right.

From position 5, ink balling a hard right screamer with a left corner hold is a real confidence builder.

Bust 'em all......mike

5. FLIP

FLIP Member

so what your saying is, if i have trouble on post one hold to the right corner for practic and hold for money shoots go back to left side?

6. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

flip it is a practice tool to teach you to swing the gun so you can learn to catch the angles.

Bob Lawless

7. crusha

crusha TS Member

If any shooter ever gets intimidated by hard angles, Kay also teaches a great drill where you stand in the grass about 5 steps off to the left of station 1, and the same to the right of station 5, and shoot 16's. You're essentially creating a very hard-angle shot. When the trap throws a hard angle your direction, this makes it appear like a real screamer (sorta like a "5 hole" target, if there were such a thing). He tells you to show yourself that you can just catch up to the target and touch it and get it to break, as long as you keep the gun moving (ie, the same lead that will break a hard angle from 5, will still break it when you're 5 steps off in the grass...it may not smoke, but it will break).

The intent is to convince yourself that the hard angles really don't require much lead; you just have to make sure you catch up to them, and keep the gun moving (if it works from 5 steps off the right of station 5 in the grass, you know it will darn sure work when you're standing _on_ station 5). It shows you that if you ever miss behind a hard angle, it wasn't because you didn't lead it enough; you either didn't catch up to it, or didn't keep moving or both.

If you try it, it works. The same lead will break the same target, from either place.

(What it really taught me, is that the so-called "3 hole" can't possibly make the magnitude of difference its advocates claim it would).

8. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Buzz-gun... Try the same drill from the 27 yard line and then tell us it wouldn't have the "magnitude of difference" its advocates claim it would. I guarantee you, the level of difficulty is magnified many times over what it is from the 16. You can't really make any kind of comparison between these two drills ..... Dan Thome (Trap2)

9. E. Beaver

E. Beaver Member

Tried the corner drill yesterday.

2 on the left hand corner, one in the middle, 2 on the right hand, each post, looking where one usually looks from that post.

Not only was it fun but I am learning from it. First round missed 2 straightaways, 2nd round bingo!

Now comes the hard part, should I share this with my shooting buddies.

Charlie

10. mono1393

mono1393 Member

Hell, why not. If they are you're buddies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

kay ohye shooting drills

kay ohye you and the target