1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Kansas State Shootout at the Crossroads

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by timb99, Feb 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Hey gang

For the 5th year in a row, Powder Creek Shooting Park in Lenexa, Kansas will be host to the Shootout at the Crossroads collegiate clay target shoot.

We're pretty sure this is the second largest collegiate clay target shoot in the country, behind only the ACUI nationals.

Interest this year has been overwhelming, and we expect our best turnout ever. We are already at what we believe is our maximum capacity of 150 shooters.

The event consists of 100 trap singles, 100 trap doubles, 100 skeet, and 100 sporting clays targets over a two day period.

This year, we'll even have a "side event" on our Argentina field.

Kansas State University is the host team, and teams from Lindenwood, Missouri-Columbia, Fort Hays State, Missouri Science & Technology, Iowa State, Colorado State, Nebraska-Omaha, Wyoming, and Virginia Tech have indicated they will be bringing squads.

If you're in the Kansas City metro area the weekend of 6 & 7 March, come on over and watch the future of the sport.

BTW, reports that Lindenwood's program would fall apart last year were somewhat exaggerated. They're bringing 55 kids. And Shawn Dulohery, former US Olympic skeet shooter is their new coach.

2. stockguy

stockguy Member

I know the teams really enjoy this event. This age group of shooters is probably the least represented in all of our shooting sports because they have a lot on their plates at that age. It's great that they can enjoy the hobby at this stage of their lives and learn the responsibility required to earn a spot on their respective school's teams.

Best of luck for good weather and a fun shoot, Tim!

Greg

3. emm2

emm2 Member

Good luck with the shoot this year timb99, you always pick the coldest weekend for this shoot. Hope the weather is better this year.

4. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Thanks Greg and Shane,

Unfortunately, we have to decide on a weekend that doesn't conflict with other shoots, doesn't conflict with spring break, and is before the ACUI nationals. First weekend in March works, but sometimes the weather is dicey.

Texas A&M just committed to bringing a squad.

There are going to be a lot of shooters this year.

5. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Now up to 168 planning to participate.

Just got a squad from Central Missouri State or CMSU.

6. trapshootersmom

trapshootersmom TS Member

tim99

For your information. Pratt Community College located at Pratt Kansas has a shooting team. You might notify Kurt Brehm the coach at PCC. They might be interested in attending.

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

It is a long drive from VA Tech to KC.

Pat Ireland

8. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Pat,

There are 12 of the VaTech folks coming. EMSDHokie who posts here periodically is on the team.

The first year of the event, we had one young man come from Eastern Kentucky University.

trapshootersmom

We are booked full, but if we get some cancellations, we will try to make room for the Pratt team.

For folks in the Kansas City area this weekend, come on out! We'll have some potential Olympians here.

9. KS-OKIE

KS-OKIE TS Supporters TS Supporters

Hey Tim:Would I still be welcome if I rode my Harley to the club ? Sorry but I don`t have any tat`s to show you...John

10. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

John! Come on over!

We'd love to have you help us score doubles on Sunday!

11. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

WOW

What a great event!!!

We had 168 kids comprising 36 squads from 16 different schools shoot at our club this weekend.

Its the most fun I have at our club, not shooting.

Also, with the help of some generous people, at this year's event, we have set up a college scholarship that will be given out to one of the event participants (but we're making them write an essay to get it!)

Even got a little press from the local newspaper.

http://www.kansascity.com/2010/03/07/1796164/shootout-at-the-crossroads-collegiate.html

(photographers evidently get a huge kick out of ejecting spent hulls.)

12. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

BTW, got to meet ESMDHokie this weekend. He and a contingent of Virginia Tech shooters came all the way from Blacksburg, VA to Lenexa, KS to shoot. Its about a 900 mile trip.

ESMDHokie is a great young man and a heck of a trap shooter. I was scoring for his squad when he shot a 98 in singles.

Phil, thanks to you and your teammates for coming, and hope to see Hokies in Kansas again next year!

Tim

13. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Even got a little article in the Kansas City Star.

http://www.kansascity.com/2010/03/07/1796525/students-take-aim-in-annual-tourney.html

14. EWCshooter03

EWCshooter03 TS Member

Your shoot was great fun and we all are planning on attending again next year. We are all very thankful for all of your help as this was our first compitition. I found that everyone in the shooting community down there was very helpful when I got down there and had a host of problems with my gun. I had four different people offer to let me use their gun and any other equipment that i needed. To all of those that helped with the Shootout at the Crossroads and all of those that put in all the long hours to get ready for the event my hat is off to you and i say you all deserve a round of applause.

Thank you all
    shoot straight
    Anthony Cannia
    Vice-President of EWC shooting sports Club

15. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Anthony,

Hearing that you guys had fun is what its all about, and keeps us doing this event year after year.

We look forward to seeing you compete next spring.

We hope Ashley's shoulder is all healed up by then so she can shoot with you.

Tim

16. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Tim, Please check your PM's. Thanks, Bob

17. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Just heard from our club manager. We threw over 68,000 targets this weekend.

18. ESMDHokie

ESMDHokie TS Member

To Tim, Al, Phil, and Kevin,

It was great meeting all of you and the 9 Hokies from Virginia Tech had a blast at Powder Creek. The program went smoothly and the amount of involvement from the club members in running the shoot does Powder Creek credit. We elected to come to your shoot for the fact that it would likely be an excellent event leading up to the even bigger ACUI National shoot and with the caliber of the competition, facility, atmosphere, and good times to be had, we were not disappointed. It was worth the drive! Looking forward to see a detailed results package if one gets released, I'd like to know how VT (and myself) measured up.

I'm sure that if our spring break allows it next year, VT will travel there again.

Best,
    Phil Cathell
    blitz77@vt.edu
    President, VT Clay Target Team.

19. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Phil,

Thanks for the kind words. I'll pass them along to all the volunteers.

We are really pleased that your team chose to come. That's a looooong drive.

I'll be sure to forward the results to you once I have them.

Good luck at the Nationals!

Tim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

phil arnett anthony kansas trapshooter