1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

### Kansas Pheasant hunting ###

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by PhillyD, Aug 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PhillyD

PhillyD Member

Can anyone direct me to a place to hunt pheasants in Kansas? I'm not looking for a preserve. Our group is looking to hunt 'WILD' birds. We can hunt pen birds at home.(Ohio). Doe's anyone have information on a guide service that will take you out for WILD birds? Any info will be appreciated.

Thanks........Philly D

2. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Google--KDWP. Kansas has a lot of walk-in hunting. There are several guide services that I know of in North Central Kansas also.

Pheasantmaster will see this and also help you out.

Steve

3. PhillyD

PhillyD Member

EE
    I know you are right.That is what I am trying to avoid.I looked on the web but most(almost all) are pen birds. Thats why I thought I might try here. Was hoping someone on here had a good experience.... Thanks

4. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I don't know about Kansas but there are many places in the Dakotas that you can get into massive numbers of wild birds. I go into Western ND every year and hunt pheasants unguided. Even the PLOT (public) areas have good bird numbers. If you want a guided hunt/accomodations package try the Cannonball Hunt Co. in Regent ND. They only hunt wild birds and have a lot of primo land leased for the purpose. (its worth the trip)

5. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

WIHA - Walk In Hunting Assn. Book is out in September from KSWP.

6. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

The WIHA program implemented by the Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks is a very succesful way to keep folks from having to buy leases, or for folks who live in the urban and suburban areas and don't know any landowners.

As noted above, there are good WIHA's and bad WIHA's.

Best to scout the WIHA's in advance, and like all public areas, get there early on opening day, because if they're any good at all, they'll see a lot of traffic, and the birds will soon know "them fellas in the orange hats & vests are out to do us harm, so lets go live somewhere else."

I have also had good success in WIHA's later in the season when the hunting pressure has subsided. , and also further west and north, away from the large populated areas (KC metro, Topeka, Wichita.)

I have not ever used a guide service in Kansas, so I can't help with who is good and who is not.

I have spoken with an acquaintance who hunts in the Mankato, KS area who uses a guide service, and they seem to always be into lots of pheasants, but I can't remember the name of the guide service, or for that matter, which acquaintance told me that.

I posted a link to the KDWP website crowing survey.

7. K80433SC

K80433SC Member

You might contact Tyler Remington at Remington Ranch Outfitters, in Gove, KS.
    He and Kassie operate a family-owned pheasant hunting outfit. They are truly nice, down-to-earth folks to deal with.

The website for their operation is remranchoutfitters.com

The site has all the information you might require, along with contact numbers. If you decide to contact/book with Tyler, please tell him that Stu referred you to him.

8. k3uro

k3uro Member

Hey,

Give me a call.

I hunterd KS 13 times last season.

Jim

405-408-6525

sbcoachjim@aol.com

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

pheasant hunting around topeka wiha