1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Kansas pheasant hunt

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by gun1357, Nov 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

This may be in the wrong thread listing. Technically, there was no shooting. Not a single rooster was seen or any shots fired on our Garden City trip this weekend. No hunters we talked to had any luck. Grain farmers said they did not see any roosters when they were harvesting this Fall. Ron

2. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Where is Garden City? Have you hunted there in past years with different results?

Regards from Iowa

Gene

3. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Garden City is the capital of Finney Co. South Western part of Kansas.
    I'm not a geographic einstein, I googled it.

4. mbm5770

mbm5770 Member

Did the drought this year cause this?

5. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

My wife is from Garden City and it used to be loaded with birds

6. 7mag

7mag Well-Known Member

Pretty much the same results from the people I talked too that went to western Kansas this weekend. Said it was the worst opening weekend they had ever had. Was planning on going out next weekend but scrapped that idea. Yes the drought was the culprit. Rich

7. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

I just traveled twice from end to end on I-90 in SD. This is my first time I ever remember not seeing one single bird.

8. FNG

FNG Member

Drought isn't the only culprit. We've been hunting north and south central Kansas for twenty yesrs. The past two years we've seen a significant decline in bird numbers (pheasant and quail). This year the folks whose farms we hunt said they'd love to see us but there just weren't any birds. Almost all of their CRP contracts have expired and the corn subsidies and prices so high (to promote this bio fuel nonsense) that almost everyone is farming for corn. Many farmers have pulled up their fences and are farming road to road ! There's just no habitat for the birds.

9. jawingsr

jawingsr Member

posted this prediction/outcome on sept.10,2012 in for sale threads, dog was sold at that posting, no birds, no dog needed, dog sold to area of the country where there will be bird hunting this season, not good times for the state of kansas and have no idea when that will change, it's sad !!! reposted original prediction in for sale ads.

10. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Besides drought it got hot quick. Critical period for chicks. Crops were being cut 5 to 6 weeks early. Nests were destroyed. In the area I run ( central, north central) predator population high. Some of the chemicals used nowdays effect quality of eggs. What ain't against them!

11. jawingsr

jawingsr Member

Only effects on deer and turkey so far in Kansas, have been both of these destructive species moving into populated areas/towns and cities. I can open up sliding glass door sitting at kitchen table @ either home that i own, in Kansas City or my second home in the western half of the state in a town with a population of less than 3000 and have my choice of either for dinner if i wanted to. The majority of farmers would offer to pay you to take more than the legal limits off their property if their farm ground/crops are being destroyed. Something has to change, farming practices, (trees and ground cover/CRP) going bye-bye, etc. CAN'T DO ANYTHING ABOUT THE WEATHER, mother nature controls that variable.

12. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

I was raised in NC Kansas. The family farm sits on White Rock Creek. My brother has had friends come up from Texas, Oklahoma, and Indiana for years to hunt pheasants and quail. After last year, they decided to come up in Sept. and hunt doves and pass on the pheasants this year. Kinda sad. Hope mother nature turns things around, but it looks like an up-hill battle because of many things mentioned above.

Steve

13. twotimer

twotimer Member

Gun, we hunted just south of Aberdeen last week and 13 of us limited out on Friday in 2 hours. Had to hunt Sat., took us 4 hours. Sunday, back to 2 hours. We are blessed to be able to hunt a private farm with a very target rich enviornment. Mike

14. jawingsr

jawingsr Member

From the reports i've heard over this past weekends opener, and for the lack of what i did not see over the spring and summer months in my sunday back road scouting drives for hens and their chicks into mitchell county for sunday beverage sales, the state of Kansas should of considered either reducing limits or reduce to even closing the season or whatever anyone else would like to throw on the table to consider to give these birds a chance at the future. Kansas, Iowa, Nebraska, Missouri birhunter since 1961 and this is as bad as i have ever seen it, with the three later states mentioned been in the crapper for quite awhile. Hate to see my home state of Kansas headed in that direction. Not good !!!

15. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Corn, soybeans= 0 Pheasants. Ask us Pennsylvanians how we kissed our Pheasant population goodby. Add that to way too many predators and insecticides that destroy every bug necessary for young chicks to eat and you'd better take pictures of a Pheasant now while you still can see an occasional one.

Your Muskrat population will not be far behind-trust me!!

16. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

No fence rows equal less pheasants. Lots of corn in SD. Birds need 3 things: Winter cover to protect them thru the winter (cat tail sloughs, CRP, shelter belts), Grain spillage/food plots. Spring cover for the chicks (same..CRP, cat tail sloughs, shelter belts, cover from predators).

Good weather helps too. Dry, warm spring after hatch.

We have no fence rows in Ohio, little clover/hay (nest/roost), lots of predators. Most the past pheasant meccas are the same way. When grain prices are high, borders get farmed. Hawks are too abundant.

In the 40's and 50's they still had predator and nuisance bounties. Not any more!

17. jawingsr

jawingsr Member

It all comes down to habitat or lack of, and it's management. Moisture, cover, natural food sources/(weed seeds etc., more benificial than any planted harvested farm grain to upland birds), insects/water source for chicks during dry summer months, etc., and any other variable not mentioned play huge into the overall success of upland wild bird hunting. To me, the only luck that is needed in this whole operation is the timely moisture needed from mother nature year round. If the current farming practices,(road to road planting and no place to hide), don't do a 180 with the total destruction of the habitat needed for survival from all their predators which includes hunters. NO COVER, NO MOISTURE, NO BIRDS !!!

18. schwabby

schwabby Member

I hunted excellent cover on private land in NW Kansas. There are a few birds but not many. Two years of drought in a row, and tremendous heat is the problem. The cover is mostly grazed or mowed, but there are just very few pheasants. It's not prime quail range but their numbers are up slightly. Not worth the trip.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.