1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Kansas pheasant hunt

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by gun1357, Nov 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

The Kansas pheasant season opened this last weekend. We hunted 25 miles North of Garden City on Saturday and 20 miles South on Sunday. Birds were as plentiful as I have seen over the past 15 years. All fields have been harvested. The CRP was not as high as previous years and was not as productive as in the past. We had our best success in the wheat fields which had been harvested with the new stripper combines. These newer machines just pluck the grain from the tops of the wheat leaving about 25 - 30 inches of stubble. Go if you get a chance. Ron Renouf

2. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Tall wheat stubble?

Awesome!

That sounds like the the field to hunt!!!

3. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Getting homesick yet Tim?

4. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

And HOW!

My hunting buddies went out opening day near Smith Center and had a pheasant fest.

Then, they're going tomorrow to a place near Ness City for 3 hunting days.

Jealous, I am!!!!

5. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Tim, I know the feeling. I can recall being stuck in Honduras during bird season one year, that made a sucky thing even suckier. Sounds like it isn't all bad where you are though and you will be back soon enough.

The guy I hunted western KS with last year went out there last weekend and had a good couple of days of hunting. He said the bobs weren't as plentiful as last year but the roosters were there in big numbers. Looks like I might make it out that that way this December. I promise to leave plenty of seed crop for your return.

6. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Good luck Greg!

7. checker

checker Member

Just got back to Va from KS......Hunted Jewell County located on Nebraska/Kansas line......Finally took my 10 month old pup out Sunday PM.....popped a cock, it ran and the pup ran it down bought it to me....Her 1st Pheasant.....SUPER PUPPIE
    [​IMG]

8. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Awesome!

BTW, my good friends called me this morning to rub in the fact that they were hunting, and they got 26 birds yesterday.

Green with envy, 9000 miles from Kansas.

9. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Tim, ya oughta call him back at 2:30 AM and congratulate them!! :)

Hap

10. jlb

jlb Member

[​IMG]

Grandsons with KS Pheasants. What a hoot!

11. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Great pic jlb.

Congrats to your grandsons.

12. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Checker, that's a good-looking dog. Hope you have many good memories in the field together.

You hunted Jewell county which is just west of where I was born and raised. Our farm is two miles east of the Jewell county line, in Republic county. I didn't get down to hunt, but my brother said that the birds were not as abundant around home. They had a real bad hail storm there last spring.

Stev

13. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

jib those grandsons will forever remember that hunt. Take pictures of the take every time those boys go out and you won't regret it. Those grins are all over their faces and thru to the soul. They will never ever make it all the way back home. Part of their heart will be with grandpa and that pheasant hunt forever. I can't wait until my grandson gets old enough to go with me. Dan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.