1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Kansas Great Iva Jarvis has passed...

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by blandgraf, Aug 26, 2013.

1. blandgraf

blandgraf Member

Word has been received this morning of the passing of Iva Jarvis of Phillipsburg, KS. Iva and her sister, Gladys Pfost, were awesome ladies both on and off the trap line. Iva Jarvis was the first inductee into the Kansas Trapshooters Hall of Fame in 1974, with Gladys joining her in 1977.

Arrangements will be announced at a later time. Rest in peace, dear friend, rest in peace. Beccy Landgraf

2. Red Dot 1

Red Dot 1 Member

Wanted to add that Iva was the first lady to break 200 in singles at the 1956 Grand American and both are in the ATA HOF, Iva 1975 and Gladys 1997.

I will never forget the first time I saw both of them shooting as they shot in dresses. Both were wonderful ladies!

RIP Iva

Roger Smith Wichita, Ks

3. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Having been in contact with Juania and her husband, Toby I felt that this was inevitable, but that doesn't make it any less hard to take.

I started my trapshooting career back in the early 70's and one of my favorite places to shoot was at Phillpsburg.I was always amazed at the shooting ability of Gladys and Iva as well as the daughters.

Gladys and Wade Pfost and the Jarvis family were always so friendly and helpful when it came to helping out a new shooter. I still have my ATA card that Wade signed in 1974 when he punched my card to the 27yard line.

I feel so fortunate to have had the opportunity of knowing this wonderful family and my heart goes out to them for their loss of such a kind and thoughtful woman. You will not be forgotten.

Steve Elliott

4. blandgraf

blandgraf Member

5. blandgraf

blandgraf Member

Juania Gale, Iva's daughter, just called with the arrangements for her mother.

Funeral is Friday, August 30th at 10:30a.m at the Olliff-Boeve Memorial Chapel, 1115 N. 2nd Street, Phillipsburg, KS.

Memorials are to the Kansas Trapshooting Hall of Fame or the Esophageal Cancer Research.

Website for Olliff-Boeve Memorial Chapel is: http://www.olliffboeve.com
    Which has Iva's obituary posted

Beccy Landgraf

6. pfofml

pfofml Member

Several years ago, Iva was at the Grand in Sparta. She was in the entery building , greeting anyone who would to stop and indroduce themself. I found her to be very humble, full of history, and diplayed a good sence of humor. May I offer my condolences to her family and loved ones.
    Peter

7. Roc'n C

Roc'n C TS Member

Our thoughts and prayers are w JJ and Ellen, May peace be with the 2 of you and the family

Chuck Badger
    Gillette Wy

8. Dave Berlet

Dave Berlet Active Member

Several times since the grand moved to Sparta I managed to visit with Iva in the events center. I kept looking for her this year as I would walk through the events center, but I never saw her this year. Iva and sister Gladys were great shooters and truly great people. In 1958 my brother and I tied with them for the brother&brother or sister&sister trophy at the grand. After this first meeting with them we had many great visits at the grand with them. Our sport has lost another great individual. My condolences go out to the family.

Dave Berlet

9. chuckoa

chuckoa Member

chuckoa_2008_030322.jpg

A great lady and a fierce competitor,our condolences to the girls and their family.
    Loral I & Chuck Delaney
    Photo 1968 Iva winning Clay Target

10. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Deepest sympathy to the entire family. As my family deals with the same emotions I can only hope that Iva has joined Leo's squad up above.
    Karla

11. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Juania, Toube, Gladys, and Wade...Martin and I are so sorry for the loss of your mom. As you know, we loved Iva a lot, and feel lucky to have known her. I am so glad that she got to see Juania make the Kansas State team. She lives on through you...she raised some great daughters.

12. Red Dot 1

Red Dot 1 Member

One last time for the wonderful lady!

13. Red Dot 1

Red Dot 1 Member

Funeral home was packed and they had to bring in additional chairs for people attending Iva's funeral. Iva had asked Mark Crist to give her eulogy and he honored her request superbly, without question, as his remarks were excellent pertaining to Iva. Additional stories were also told by others with everyone laughing together. R.I.P. Iva!

Roger Smith Wichita, KS

14. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

Having been a KS resident and past state team member...and many years at the KS state shoot, I remember the kind soul of Iva well. a sweeter person never lived on this earth. Don't be fooled by that, she'd beat you at trap in a heart beat and was one of those to make breaking targets look easy.

One of the all time greats and deservedly a Hall of Famer. Gladys too!

Rest in Peace Iva...

milt palasota

linn creek, mo

15. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

Seems we have lost another great trapshooter! That Lady could really make a model 12 talk! Had only talked with her briefly and didn't know her personally,but from what I have seen and heard,she was a great person! My thoughts and prayers go out for her family!

16. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

It was a beautiful service and as Roger mentioned, Mark did a great job for a great lady. I thought I knew quite a bit about Ivas's accomplishments,but I learned much more yesterday after returining back to the funeral home and looking at the memorabilia displayed there. Sports Illustrated, Ripley's Believe it or Not,etc. What a lady!

Steve E.

17. blandgraf

blandgraf Member

Juania sent me this message this morning: "tell the folks that Toube & I and Ellen and her family appreciate all the kind words and stories posted about Mom."

As a couple of posters have said, it was a beautiful service...very fitting for such a lovely lady. Mark Crist did a good job on the eulogy. A couple of family members contributed stories. And there was a display of photos and articles on her shooting career along with a slideshow of photos throughout her life with family and friends. Beccy Landgraf

18. blandgraf

blandgraf Member

Search tags for this page

roger smith wichita ks trapshooter