1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Kaboom !!!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by emmylou1, Sep 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emmylou1

emmylou1 Active Member

At the club last week,my team was done shooting our two rounds of trap.We were
    at a picnic table joking each other when what sound like a cannon went off,
    I mean the people on three traps stopped to see what happend with hearing
    protection on !!The older shooter somewhat scared has some dementia and we
    think should not be reloading.I yelled at the score keeper dont let him shoot
    that gun again.I inspected the gun as best I could for pressure signs but found none.He was scared but continued to shoot.The gun was a Franchi o/u.
    Many times at the club I hear shells
    go off that sound over pressure.I would
    love to weigh some of those loads,it would be shocking.............

2. Francis Marion

Francis Marion Well-Known Member

Don't worry too much Emmylou. Unless he loads it with rifle or pistol powder, you can't fit enough shotgun powder in a hull to blow up an unobstructed barrel. Good shooting!

3. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

If he has dementia should not be driving to the club or shooting, what do pressure signs look like??

4. goony

goony Active Member

Yes you can blow up a barrel with shotgun powder, I did to a stevens double barrel in 1976. The chamber portion was blown away and a piece of the barrel, shrapnel, perforated my left arm.

Mike

5. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

Overpressure signs could be:

Barrel bulges or rings, locking lugs that don't close the action, change in headspace, change in forearm alignment, gaps where there didn't used to be gaps...just to name a few.

6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    And bits and pieces in your forearm and those around you.

7. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

During my 2009 state shoot, I was hanging out with a member of shoot management. He was patrolling the trap line. I was loafing.

At one point we parked the cart behind a singles squad that included an older gentleman. He was shooting an 870 trap and reloads. While we watched, the old gentleman touched off a shell that sounded like emmylou's cannon. Whatever it contained was sufficient to flare the bottom of his receiver about twice as wide as it should have been. There was other obvious gun damage but nobody was injured.

The shooter went back to his vehicle and came back with another 870. He intended to finish the event with same reloads. Mr. shoot management said 'no way', and gave him the option of finishing the event with factory shells or withdrawing.

I have no idea what kind or how much powder he used but it d@mn sure blew up an unobstructed 870.

sissy

8. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

You have evidence of that? We're always looking for evidence...

9. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Just as scary as the fellow on my squad who just started reloading and had a blooper with a wad stuck and had we not put the brakes on he'd have just loaded another in right behind it...he learned the importance of checking/clearing the barrel the easy way..and went home with his gun and body in one piece

10. JH

JH Well-Known Member

Let's see....a DEMENTED man with a gun that goes KABOOM....should I worry? Hmmmmm.....tough question.....hmmmm.........

Key words: DEMENTED WITH GUN!

I would say, a PRUDENT PERSON should stay away and make sure the DEMENTED PERSON does not have access to a gun........

Just Saying.......

11. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Our old and long deceased friend Harry was adept at blowing up guns. In fact, I believe it was three-two Belgian Brownings and a Merkel. He often showed off his battle scars consisting of some some long sewed up streaks on his arms. We were forced to ban him from the trapline back in the 60's. Quite a character!!

12. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

If there are no overpressure signs on the gun or hull I wonder if someone slipped a black powder load in his bag.

13. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

There would have been a huge cloud of white smoke if it was black powder. A guy at a little local club used to drop one in peoples pocket when they were not looking. I don't find it particularly funny but he did. John

14. BARTMAN

BARTMAN TS Member

I am new to reloading and was shooting on the line when I had a kaboom. It knocked be back on my heels. I must have short stroked during a reload session and missed pulling the shell. Scared the hell out of me. But I dont guess it was any worse than a 3 1/2 inch magnum but my gun would not break open for several seconds afterwards. It looks like if it were very much of an over charge it would not crimp? But anyway I bet it happens to all. I wil have to experiment and over charge on and see if it crimps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.