1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

K80 warning

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Barry C. Roach, Mar 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I don't own a K80 although I think they are a beautiful gun with a reputation of excellence.

That said I would like to relate something that really concerned me but may be a good thing to check on on your K80.

Two years ago a shooting friend showed me his K80 with the O/Us attached and asked what I would do if it were my gun. He shot the gun and showed me where some smoke was coming from the very back of where the rib is attached to top barrel. I have worked with a lot of equipment in my time and I know that "looks can deceive" - especially when it comes to identifying where smoke is coming from.

So we sprayed the area with gun oil and as it soaked in the same area where the smoke came, began to bubble. On another site here there is a photo that shows the exact spot I discribed. I looks like that is where the explosion originated.

I don't like to bad mouth anyones' products but I thought you all should examine K80's there for safety sake.

2. mono1393

mono1393 Member

Please put the photo with your thread if you can please. I would like to see a picture of it, or at least put the url of the thread on this site. Thank you.

Chris Morris

3. Barry C. Roach

The photo I'm referring to is under the thread titled "My K=80 blew-up". It is the first photo in the series.

4. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

This the picture Barry? Bill Malcolm

5. Barry C. Roach

Yeah. That's the photo I referred to. The smoke and the bubbling of oil came from the area where the 'V' shaped split is adjacent to the end of the rib.

6. Barry C. Roach

Thank you Mr. Malcolm.

7. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Barry, You are welcome. Call me Bill or I will tell Two Dogs on you. Bill Malcolm

8. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Barry- try to contribute something other than churning stuff you dont understand with guns you dont own

regards from Iowa

Gene

9. Heckyea

Heckyea TS Member

I concur with GN7777777

10. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Gene,
    I think your remark to Barry is in poor taste. I think Barry in good faith is pointing out an incident that he witnessed that was metal fatigue half way between safe and another destruction of a K-80. I shoot a K-80 primarily and am naturally concerned as I'm sure many of us are. I do intend to pay a little more attention to my chamber area than I have in the past. Many of us have purchased K-80 guns, barrels etc. used here and other places. Who knows who the previous owners were and what modifications they might have had done to them. I think it behooves all of us to try and be a little more careful of what we are doing.
    Shoot well and often while we can, Bob

11. nords

nords Member

I have read several of the comments of how K-80's have problems. Normally it's the AA problem...ect no facts. I'm with Bob, Barry has some info that was observed which has some merit. You never hear what the maker of the K-80 has to say!

12. K80433SC

K80433SC Member

So long as there are those who CONTINUE to lambast these fine guns, I will CONTINUE to make my offer............send your K80 to ME, and I shall assume all risks associated with its usage.

13. Danny B

Danny B TS Member

jcl..........Kay "does" reload shells. He also shoots many, many new shells....

14. 870

870 Well-Known Member

Well, do we have some evidence now? Where is this K-80 barrel? Can someone determine what is going on with it?

15. g7777777

Debbie one time told me that they (each) shoot 50,000-75,000 in conjunction with their clinics- I dont know if that means before or after or includes during or what

That doesnt count their competition

regards from Iowa

Gene

16. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

Danny B is correct Kay does shoot and reload shells.

Danny B has done considerable research (snooping ??) of the top shooters and is compiling a book "Secrets of the Big Dogs" soon becoming available from underground press.
    Subjects like components, POI's, trigger poundage, rib heights, ear plugs, color of beads, breakfast lunch and dinner foods, bathroom times, favorite drinks and deserts, etc etc years of research. Advanced deposits being taken now price to be announced . Get in line early don't miss the first printing a sure collectors item.

17. Danny B

Danny B TS Member

Ole One Eye....Buddy..Pal.....Now that you have released this info: please continue to gather the info you volunteered to record. Are you sure of the recorded "bath room Trips" ? Just before I left for Pa; a Pro was heading for the mens room while you were on the front porch...EATING ICE CREAM !!!!!!

18. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

221, That claim goes with all major manufacturers of firearms not just K guns. This is from Sig Sauer, "The use of reloaded, "remanufactured" hand-loads, or other non standard ammunition voids all warranties." Reloading is a science and improperly loaded ammunition can be extremely dangerous. Severe damage to the firearm and serious injury to the shooter or to others may result. Always use ammunition that complies with the industry proformance standard established by the sporting arms ammunition institute inc. (SAAMI) of the United States or manufactured to military specifications.

19. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

So the story that K-80's sometimes blow up is a myth? It seems one thing is true. Some K-80 owners are pretty thin skinned it seems. All things fail from time to time and quality is sometimes in the eye of the beholder. My buddy even thinks Dodge pickups are quality built.

20. g7777777

The cummins engine is nice

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.