1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

K80 vs. Kolar Swing

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hardage, Apr 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hardage

Hardage TS Member

Have had both. No difference really. You should play around with the balance of the gun you have if it fits you as you say it does. Balance can change the speed at which you can get the barrels to a different point. Try making the gun a bit more weighted to the back of the hinge pin which will make the barrels seem lighter in the front hand. The other thing to try is harder which would be and adjustment over time of your hold points. I would try to play with the balance first and give it a very good long try before you give up.

Joe Hardage

2. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

I have owned them both. I will say that the Kolar is a heavy gun. I was getting to ware I was shooting some good scores with the Kolar but when I shot ATA it seemed I had to work really hard for the good scores. With my bad back the Kolar is not for me. I now shoot a K 80 and it is much livelier to swing. It is a better gun for me and my bad back.

3. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Himejim, What bore is your Kolar, .740 or .750? The .750 bore is lighter in the front end. Kolar can bore your .740 out to a .750. Bill Malcolm

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Add a little weight to the butt stock, it will swing faster. HMB

5. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

Himejim...
    I have the same question about age and slow/heavy guns.I generally shoot a Alfermann(10 1/2 lbs.) for singles and caps. I just bought a 32 in Top single for my K-80 to see if it moves quicker to the bird. Just had it fitted to the gun. Will tell you if it works out....SMOKIT

6. blackfoot

blackfoot Member

I am a one eyed shooter, an old buck(63) and have shot both guns competitively.

I tried and just couldn't shoot the Kolar because I just couldn't get it moving and the dynamics just didn't work for me. However, I still think the Kolar is an outstanding gun and company and would shoot one if i could.

I have shot and owned 4 K80's and is what I have shot for years now.They are great guns w/ zero problems.The only issue I've had w/ krieghoff is that I cannot shoot the new pro-rib guns and have tried both the top single and the unsingle barrels.My scores went down and I am convinced that it's a one eyed thing. I am now back to the non TS unsingle. I shoot a 32" unsingle for singles and a 34" for Hdcp.

Good luck.

7. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

I found the Kolar to be more front heavy, until I put a 11 oz. recoil reducer in the stock. Then the gun was close to the K-80. However, once I put the 32" O/U .740 bore barrels on it was extremely front heavy. Never tried to shoot the O/U barrels. As far as quality, I would say they are close to the same, but have always leaned a little more toward the German engineering. Jon

8. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Yah-ah... Big guns for big boys

9. andybull

andybull Active Member

For trapshooting both of those guns should move about the same.

Have your eyes checked and use lighter lenses to allow more light into your eyes. I found myself shooting slower at live bird shoots, one day I used yellow lenses and although they were too bright, I began to smoke the birds as I had in the past.

Andy

10. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

All of the talk about adding weight to the stock to change the swing is false. Balance means nothing in a premounted game like trap. Balance is only noted when the gun is picked up. Once the gun is on the shoulder, there is no balance. It is eliminated. All that can be determined at that point is whether the barrel is too light or too heavy to suit the individual.

11. SMOKEIT

Jerry,
    You may be partially right about balance. More important is the moment of inertia of a gun. This effects how the way a gun swings a bunch...SMOKIT

12. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

They both feel heavy to me...

13. bjk1972

bjk1972 Member

As we age the muscles in the eye start to weaken and often it takes longer to focus on mid range objects. I have shot a 90t at close to 10 lbs for 15 years and have noticed I cant break hard angles quite as fast as I use to.I would get your eyes checked and maybe give Decot a call and see what color lenses they might recommend given your vision. Don't give up on that Kolar just yet!

14. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

K80 trap special = WOODY

15. tomlieb

tomlieb Member

Get a pair of 10 lb barbells and work up to 100 curls a night, Amazing what the strength training can do for a slow gun.
    Tom

16. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

You could go down to the lumberyard and buy yourself a five foot long 2 x 4 and it would "swing" better than a Kolar.

John C. Saubak

17. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

If gun swing is a problem,find yourself a TMX or TM-1 taper rib 34" bbl. Find a gun that has not been tampered with or had any mods(very difficult but not impossible.) The P-gun taper rib is super for the one eye person. This is one of the fastest swinging trap guns around. If recoil is a problem use a G-Squared factory stock or have a custom fitted stock if you have odd dimentions.

18. bjk1972

bjk1972 Member

Check and see if Hal duPont in florida still has a test drive program.A number of years ago I took a Kolar combo for three weeks and shot the snot out of it. That made up my mind for me. I think they do the same with K-80s as well.

19. Jim Veta

Jim Veta Active Member

The standard K80 and Kolar albeit, great, well made guns both swing like an anvil compared to a Perazzi. K80(Panzer tank) Kolar(same), Perazzi(Ferarri).

20. SMOKEIT

Depends a lot on what barrel you have on the gun as well as Brand. I just put a k-32 32 in top single with Vandalia rib on my K-80. Makes it a very lively gun..SMOKIT

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.