1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

K80 Trap Special StockHarlan C Type

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by AveragEd, Aug 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Drew, Wenig's calls that style their "New American." I didn't check, but they probably have photos of them on their website.

Ed

2. mx2005

mx2005 TS Member

oneATAtime Give Dennis Devault a call on Monday he will help you with a stock that is MADE for you and FITS you every body is profiled different get a stock that works for you not anyone else. # 330-456-6070 office.

3. Josephdog

Josephdog TS Member

Drew:

Further to our conversation, and to offer an alternative point of view, I have had the Wenig "New American," and do now have what Wenig represented to me as the Harlan C style. They are both of a similar nature incorporating toe out and an offset comb. The Harlan style has greater toe out, a more offset comb, and negative pitch. It is not in the Wenig catalog, but I was told that they do have the pattern for it, and could produce another one for me if I so desired.

I was very surprised when I tried the Harlan style stock and found that it was so similar to the fine custom fitted stock made for me by Dennis Devault for my K80. I remember at the fitting session with Dennis, the first thing he noted was half inch comb offset. This is about the limit of adjustment on a standard adjustable comb.

As I mentioned, I was made more sure of the correctness for me of the standard Wenig Harlan C style stock because I was lucky enough to have Harlan C available for consultation when I purchased the Trap Special and the Wenig stock. However, I still harbor thoughts of asking Dennis to make a stock for my Trap Special. He does an excellent fitting job.

Good luck in finding a great fitting stock for your Trap Special and your self described chubby checks.

Joe

4. KRK32

KRK32 Member

I still have mine for sale its lowered to 375 shipped to you if your interested. Thank You Kirk

5. shotslinger

shotslinger Member

When I pattern my shotgun, I find that the pattern is consistently to the left - even when I move the comb over to the right as far as it can possibly go. How can offset and/or toe out help me center the pattern? Also, I always notice that my target breaks are on the left side of the target... Any information would be appreciated.

6. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

shotslinger,

You might have a bent barrel or offset choke tube. Are you able to see the beads lined up? (middle behind the front) if so that is probably your problem. Also check to see if the stock is loose, a loose stock will throw the POI all around.

But if your beads are side by side then you need a lot more stock offset that what you have.

Tom Strunk

7. Harv Shell

Harv Shell TS Supporters TS Supporters

Who do you guys think designed the HC style stock in the 1st place? <br>
    <br>
    Dennis DeVault ring a bell?

8. walnutmaker

walnutmaker TS Member

Hate to burst your bubble but us OTHER stockmakers have been making the big offset stocks long before Devault took credit for it. Sorry but it's nothing new. Phil S.

9. Harv Shell

Harv Shell TS Supporters TS Supporters

Phil, I think there's a lot more to it than the offset. Harv.

10. Dennis DeVault

Dennis DeVault Well-Known Member

Hey Phil,

Prior to 1995 no one but us had a tall rib on a gun that required the big stocks that needed to be produced. I started this project back in 1991 with the MachOne. The Stock that Harlan won the Grand American Doubles Championship with was a stock I designed in 2000 for his MX-3 Sepcial Perazzi. Wenig used that gun to produce the stock for Harlan's first K-80. His Perazzi and his first K-80 was stolen in Memphis from a hotel parking lot and then Joe Goldburgh finished his next pattern that went to Wenig to be made. There is a whole lot more that goes into the design and making of an offset stock with toe out than just making a statement that it was done a long time ago.

Thank you,

Dennis DeVault

11. walnutmaker

walnutmaker TS Member

Dennis, You can take all the credit you want on this but I've been building the same style stocks for lots of shooters out west since the late 80's just haven't got the national attention you have. I learned this style from another older stockmaker in California.

Incidentally--you just admitted you built his MX-3 stock--hardly a tall rib gun. Just as we have been doing for a LOT of years. This is hardly the brain surgery you make it sound like.

Congratulations on your success but fact is fact--it IS nothing new! I guess I'm just not as good as you at blowing my own horn.

Just keep making chips! Regards Phil Simms

12. David J Comroe

David J Comroe Active Member

Dennis,

I don't have a dog in this fight but Harlan has yet to win a Grand American Doubles Championship. I wouldn't bet against it happening though...

13. walnutmaker

walnutmaker TS Member

Oh Dennis, I forgot to mention one small item. You know the Clay target championship we just witnessed. I had built recently a new comb for Dave Shaeffers Seitz gun--Congratulations to Silver Seitz- and I built Denis Bringlsons stock with the SSRS style recoil system on his Perazzi.

Phil Simms

14. Dennis DeVault

Dennis DeVault Well-Known Member

David,

I stand corrected it was the Class Doubles Championship at the Grand in 2003. Charlie Morrison won the Doubles Championship that year.

Phil the MX-3 Special did have a high rib it was one that we installed prior to building the stock.

Have a great day,

Dennis DeVault

15. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

I have had stocks made by Paul Purdam in SoCal and Anton/Hilmer from Iowa, in the early eightys with the offset and the toed out recoil pad built into the stock. I had a Wilkinson delron (sp) rib added on top of the factory rib somewhere around 1990.

These stocks also had a rollover to the comb.

Tom Strunk

16. walnutmaker

walnutmaker TS Member

As Tom so eloquently said----nothing new here except on some minds. I must say though the Harlam Campbell stock has taken on a life of it's own.

Soon I am sure we will come up with the next trick to get shooters attention. Doesn't matter what it is---- as long as one of the really great shooter shoots it ---it may be the next phenom.

What did Tom say 1990 that would be 5 years prior to 1995??????? Hi Rib what????

Just a matter time. Phil S.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.