1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

K80 Trap Special and Kolar Combo Owners ?????

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by John Q Trap Shooter, Nov 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Q Trap Shooter

John Q Trap Shooter TS Member

My questions are for those who have owned or still do own both the K80 special trap combo and a Kolar combo. Please don't tell me of the service ect, thats not an issue to me one way or the other.

1) If you switched from one to the other - why?

2) If you had to do it all over again which one would you now choose or would you buy another manufacturer's gun?

3) Everyday care and maintenance - which one is easier.

Thanks in advance

JQ

2. Kolar Dan

Kolar Dan Member

I went from a MX-2000 to a Kolar Combo several years ago. I choose it for its dependability, adjustability, customer service, and I just liked the gun. Also you can call the company and talk to the owners(who are actually interested in you enjoying your experience with your new gun). If I were to buy another gun of the same grade I would do the same thing again. The Kolar is much easier to service, the K-80 while an excellent shotgun-it is very complicated.
    Sonny

3. Kolar Dan

Kolar Dan Member

I've talked to he and Jeff several times over the years and if he was having a bad day I could never tell it. Both of them never been anything but helpful.
    Sonny

4. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I like my Krieghoff. Did not have a Kolar long enough to form an opinion. It felt like a floor joist. Popped open when top barrel was fired, when new. Kolar (John Ramagli) said it was my fault. I guess it was, for buying the damned thing!

Dropped it like a bad habit. Once you shoot a Krieghoff, anything else is second best! Like the service and those doing the service. No John Ramagli to deal with when he has a bad day. (most days)

5. blackfoot

blackfoot Member

I shot K80 for about 5 years and liked it alot:shot AA and back to 25 yards w/ it. I never had a problem.I traded for a Kolar because I liked the wood, the way it was constructed and I was from Wisconsin and thought it would be neat to shoot a quality US gun.

I thought the Kolar was very well constructed w/ good triggers,VERY poor blueing,Kolar is OK w/ customer service but not outstanding(always felt rushed when i called them and they didn't have a good inhouse tracking system).I still love their wood and checkering.

I traded the Kolar for a new K80 because I just didn't like the way the Kolar gun pointed even though I shot good scores w/ it. It seems like it is a better gun for a larger framed shooter(I'm 6' and 195). It just seemed big to me in the receiver area and the barrels seemed long(30"seemed like 32"): just the way it pointed made it seem slow.

What I like about my new K80 is that it points faster,better triggers,better overall finishing,chokes and I know this shouldn't matter but they hold their value. I was also shocked to see how much Kolar's depreciate compared to Krieghoff's

This is just one guy's opinion and nothing more!

6. awbenz

awbenz TS Member

I shot my Kolar Combo for 3years. Broke 1 100x100.with it.
    I bought a new trap special 6 months ago and have shot 5 100s and 1 200x200. with it. Yes I had both guns fitted to me. Allen

7. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

As a post script, I am old, but I am an old gym rat and am in good shape and very strong for my age. The Kolar was very ponderous and never felt right although the gunfit was technically correct. My Krieghoffs have adjustable combs and buttplates and took all of five minutes apiece to fit! I have shot lifetime bests with both guns.

There is no way I would shoot even a FREE kolar. If I ever got away from Krieghoffs, I would go to the Browning XT 30" for Trap, and the XS 30" Sporter for all other games. There would not be a second's hesitation on this choice.

8. JEB

JEB Active Member

About three months ago I traded in a Kolar combo for the K80 Trap Special with the American trap special stock -- twisted sister style. I could not be happier. To be fair the Kolar was not my regular gun, I was using an MX-8 top single, but only because the Kolar just never felt right. I could never get the hang of the balance and he triggers whether using pull or release never felt quite right. I did have a quick fit done at the factory, so I don't think that was off by too much. My scores were all over the place using the Kolar.

I bought the Krieghoff from Chris Maest who did a great job fitting it. I love the very high rib, better view of the birds coming up from under the barrel, the balance is perfect for me, and the release trigger is the best that I have ever used. Scores are better too. Both are solid, well built guns, no short cuts taken with either, but to me the difference is in the shooting and in that area -- no contest.

J. Bergman

9. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I had the chance to shoot a Kolar and I... also having owned a K-80 RT for comparison ..felt there was no comparison...the Kreighoff fits me like nothing else and its instant smoke once the POI is set

10. jbshep

jbshep Member

Shot Krieghoffs for years. Lots of problems with fan-firing. Bought a K-80 Trap Special when they first came out and hated it. That's when I learned that a super high rib is just a marketing gimmick. Sold the K-80 TS and bought a Kolar combo with top single barrel; shoot it better than the TS. no difference in felt recoil; the Kolar's .750 bore helps. The Kolar is simpler and trouble-free. Especially like the triggers that I can change myself from pull to release and back again. The Kolar is a great American-made trap gun!

11. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

I bought a K-80 combo in 01' and shot it well, but got the Kolar bug after shooting a friends gun. Bought one in 2004. Unsingle combo. Loved the lack of recoil, but it just didn't have the "feel". I always thought it was barrel light. Shot quite a few 200's on singles , but could never get to my K-80 average on doubles and handicap 27yd. Sold it, and went back to the K-80. Doubles and handicap scores went back up. Both guns were fitted by pros.

But...Kolar has made some design changes. The new guns are balanced better. Don't know what they did (change frame weight?). I'd have to shoot a new one before changing.

12. bigben

bigben Active Member

John Q, for ME, no question, the k-80 has better balance the fit and finish is better, and handles much more easily than my Kolar did, broke good scores with both at the 16, , but much better 27 yd. handicap and doubles with the Kreighoff! try before you buy! incinerate em!

13. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Al, I have a new, unfired K-80 special combo for sale, if you decide to buy one.

14. RBur

RBur TS Member

AL, Changing the POI on the bottom barrel of the K-80 TS is very easy.

With the Krieghoff, you just need to change the barrel hangers. You do nothing with the stock.

Ron Burdick

15. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

The Kolar's have various hangers and shims available that will change to POI of the O/U barrel. Bill Malcolm

16. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

Devi......removing all temptation are we? :)

Hope to see you and Martin again one of these days when we have more time. Are you two thinking about the fall grand in tucson?

Rickyd

17. CharlesR1100

CharlesR1100 TS Member

K80 Trap Special, combo, 32,34, unsingle. 2 weeks old.

You only go around once.

P gun is its only real competition. Not Kolar.

At this stage it is a mental game anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

k80 trap special barrels for sale

k80 vs trap special
kolar k80 combo
kolar xt trap combo

krieghoff k 80 trap special for sale montana

shootingk80trapspecial
used k80 trap special for sale

used kolar trap combo for sale