1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

K80 Trap Special Adj. Rib Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by soundaround, Dec 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soundaround

soundaround Member

The K80 trap special is shipped form the factory with adjustable ribs set for a POI of 70/30 according to Krieghoff. There is a marking system where the adjustments are made with several fine lines. It is designed to help you measure the amount of adjustment you make. Does anyone know how many lines are visible/showing underneath the adjustable wheel when it is set in the OEM 70/30 position?

The only thing I am trying to determine is if the K80 I now own has the rib set higher or lower than the original factory setting.

2. Phil Kiner

Phil Kiner Well-Known Member

Don't remember that data, but, this may help.

With the front all the way down (and figure 8) it should shoot about 15" high (mine does) and the marks are supposed to be 3". So you should be able to work it backwards.

3. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

4. jegk80

jegk80 Member

When the rib is set to factory setting you will see a small indentation that lines up with the small hole at the end of the rib. This is how you can tell the factory setting, at least that's how it is on the pro rib.

Joe

5. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

When all else fails take it to a pattern board. Not every K80 is going to shoot the same with every mark or choke for that matter. You would do yourself more good knowing how your gun shoots, not your buddies.

6. soundaround

soundaround Member

goose2 .. I agree. The reason for my inquiry had only to do with how it came set from the factory. I intend to pattern it for clarification, but I am just trying to document factory settings.

The stock type and comb setting affect everything as well, as I assume most know. But in this particular case the gun fits me so well I am just engaged in an intellectual pursuit. I intend to change nothing..just wanted to know before the patterning board excursion...

I really enjoy and appreciate how helpful everyone is in this forum...thank you

7. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

JegK80 told you the truth. That indentation in the center of the peep hole is the factory's mark for their regulation. To raise the POI you lower the front of the rib and you raise the front of the rib to lower the POI.

I, personally, like to find my POI then turn the adjustment wheel to lower the rib as far as it will go, counting the clicks as you go. This will tell you how many clicks you need to have the POI regulated for you, now back the wheel off that amount and install the set screw. Write this down in your notebook. The clicks can be felt as you are turning the adjustment wheel. I can feel them every 1/2 turn. My personal K-80 trap special has the rib adjusted at 1 1/2 turns up from the barrel, and I use a figure 8 sight picture.

Don't forget that you can move the rib to maximum high or low and still retain the same sight picture. That is a big reason why I love this gun.

Tom Strunk

8. soundaround

soundaround Member

FYI all: Tom Strunk and jegK80 win...heard from Krieghoff today and dimple in the peep hole is the regulation point for 70/30 (I assume with comb not adjusted). When pressed for the "average" line this was near the answer was 3.

Patterning still suggested, encouraged, etc. Thanks to all for helping in this inquiry. And thank you Kreighoff...your service and customer manners are impeccable.

9. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

I don't have no steenking dimple.

OMG! What should I do?

This was your question;
    "Does anyone know how many lines are visible/showing underneath the adjustable wheel when it is set in the OEM 70/30 position?"

The answer is;

10. soundaround

soundaround Member

longshooter you are correct and you also win!

11. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

nolo contendere.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.