1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

K80 & Rio primers

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by hoggy, Apr 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

May 9, 2006
    ATTN:K80 owners. According to Krieghoff, Rio primers will ruin your fireing pins. I sent my K80 in for chipped or pitted firing pins and was told not to use Rio shells as the fireing pins will not be covered under warrantee. JFYI
  2. fritzi93

fritzi93 TS Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Krieghoff Int'l will also tell you that Cheddites will do the same. I was in for yearly service a few years ago when the gunsmith told me that, also that since my firing pin was as-new he didn't replace it. I replied that the gun had almost 10,000 rounds through it that year, ALL Cheddite primers.

In the last 10 years I've used Cheddite and Rio primers exclusively in both my KX-5 and my K-80, plus some flats of Rio shells. Never had the slightest problem OR replaced a firing pin.

Now, I know you were told that in good faith, likewise you're posting it in good faith. Also that many Krieghoff owners have had pierced primers and eroded firing pins using Cheddites and Rios. But I suspect there's something else going on.

Dunno what the common denominator is. But my own reloads are all moderate pressure, less than 10,000 psi, if that makes any difference.

[EDIT] I should add, Rio shells extract okay from my KX-5, but they're real sticky b@st@rds my K-80. Therefore I don't shoot Rio shells any more.
  3. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Chris Maest told me to shoot only Winchester, Remington, or Federal Ammo in a K80 and if I reloaded only use Winchester, Remington, or Federal Ammo.

PS... he also told me not to use any shells that had a steel base so there goes the Remington Gun Clubs.

PSS... I reload the cheapest primer I can get and have been doing so for the past 5 years. Most of them have been Rio primers into STS hulls. I use Promo powder and Duster wads. I am a cheapo, I know but have not shot any better with the good stuff.

Never had a problem with the primer or the gun using Rio's.

4. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Jan 29, 1998
    That is just an OPINION they are expressing, I have shot over 50,000 Rio Primers, never a problem, not one mis-fire. Kreighoff should check the steel they are using in their guns, Late model ones are blowing up.

Gary Bryant
  5. shotgun 1

shotgun 1 Member

Aug 25, 2006
    Makes you wonder what shells they are supposed to use in Europe since UEE (Rio) is huge in the European market and Cheddite hulls are used in many other brands of shells. On the other hand, Kerry Allor, a heck of a gunsmith barrel man, considers the steel headed shells job security.
  6. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

Sep 17, 2007
    For the price of a K80 you should be able to shoot any brand of ammo.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

rio primers eating firing pins

rio primers not firing