1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

K80 Gold Super Scroll Question?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by JimmyP, May 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JimmyP

JimmyP TS Member

I am thinking about buying a K80 Gold Super Scroll Trap Special. but have a few questions. How delicate is the finish? Is it a nitride finish or a nickle finish? Does sweat affect it adversely? Is the scroll work easy to mess up with normal hand contact while shooting? I rub the blue off my guns under the receiver from holding the gun while I reload. I love the way the gun looks but I don't want to invest that much money if I am going to screw it up. Those guns deserve better than that. Thanks for any help.

Jimmy

2. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

If it is the standard Krieghoff finish, it is extremely durable. About all that ever happens to it from handling is it gets glossy or chrome-like in appearance. The brushed or matte look can be restored with 0000 steel wool, according to Krieghoff.

Now, if it has the optional "coin" finish, you might have a problem. "Coin" is actually not a finish per se - it is bare metal and will develop corrosion fairly quickly from the salts and acids in your perspiration. Coin looks like a million bucks when new but can deteriorate to looking like 47 cents if you aren't careful with it.

Ed

3. JimmyP

JimmyP TS Member

Thanks Ed and Ray. I will have to find out if it is coin or standard finish. I sweat profusely in the summer so coin sure won't work, but this has to be the prettiest gun there is in my opinion. Thanks again

Jimmy

4. Sixshooter

Sixshooter TS Member

I had a coin finish Super Scroll Gold and shot it for many years. I found it to be a little more likely to rust then bluing. It was easy to clean up though if the rust wasn't allowed to stay very long. I used a soft bronze brush on a moto tool. I would however, buy only the nitride finish if I were to get another. It looks nearly the same and is as durable as nickel.

I traded mine last year at the Grand and wish I hadn't, I still think it was the prettiest Krieghoff I ever owned.

5. Don Rackley

Don Rackley Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Jimmy,

I think that is the best engraving on a K80. By the way, you need to buy that gun so it stops calling me LOL!

Don

6. JimmyP

JimmyP TS Member

Don, If I buy that gun I may need a place to live. LOL That is a beautiful gun though, I just don't know if I need one that fancy.

Jimmy

7. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I have had a Gold Super Scroll Coin for 13 years. I bought it from Jon Kruger. The gun has several hundred thousand rounds through it. I recently put a Grade III stock on it. The receiver and forend iron are about 98%+. With reasonable care and service, the coin finish will last a long time. BTW, it has only had routine annual services by Krieghoff Intl' and NO parts replacement other than springs and firing pins.

OTOH, if one invests in a high grade firearm and treats it like a farm implement, then, like anything else, the finish and value will deteriorate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.