1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

K80 Galling on Monoblock

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by AJ-K80, Sep 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AJ-K80

AJ-K80 Member

I have a K80,serviced on 1/2012, that has galling on the monoblock, both sides. I lightly buffed out the galls with 600 grt and polished the receiver,Clean the monoblock and receiver, after 50 rounds galling continues to be present. I used Krieghoff grease and the inside of the receiver near the trunions show NO sign of galling and is smooth and shinny. Any help on the issue?

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

What type of lube are you using? HMB

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

If this was a BT99 or a Citori I would say the forend fit is too tight and advise relieving the barrel tang.

If this is the case the gun open with some degree of difficulty.

The problem is that once it starts, you are stuck with it.

Copious use of white lithium grease might help.

HM

4. AJ-K80

AJ-K80 Member

Thank you for the response. More information is as follows. The K80 was purchased new in 2007 and I have shot it since with no galling. Just the last 100 rounds the galling appeared. I used factory shells and the K80 opens and closed with no problem. I used the Krieghoff grease and the inside of the receiver next to the trunnions shows NO sign of galling, real smooth and shinny. Again the galling is in the area behind the "ears" on the monobloc about 1/2 inch towards the chamber. Again the matting surfaces of the receiver show no sign of galling.

5. AJ-K80

AJ-K80 Member

6. Texas Trap Shooter

Texas Trap Shooter Member

That does not look like galling to me from the pictures presented. Looks more like assembly scratches from my view however, I could be wrong.

Ron

7. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

This is what I think of when one mentions galling on a break open gun.
    [​IMG]

8. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Yep, scratches from assembly would be my guess. The barrels are not quite lined up correctly, when you put the monoblock in the receiver. The barrels are twisted slightly to one side or the other, so that the sharp top of the receiver corner, or edge, is scratching the monoblock when you try to insert it in the receiver. My KS-5 has these scratches. If they are deep enough, they will eventually start to affect the inside of the receiver also.

9. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I sit down when I put them together-- it works much better- and lightly lay the barrel above the hinge pins and push in with my thumb

I bet you dont do that-

Those scratches will never go away unless you have them polished out

You are catching the barrel on the front corner edge of the receiver- maybe hands shaking or body moving

It has nothing to do with your gun being serviced recently

Are those the same or different barrels?

If you use a full length gun case you can avoid this issue entirely until you have to disassemble for more definitive cleaning

Regards from Iowa

Gene

10. WZsembik

WZsembik Member

Not to hijack a thread, but what is the stamped mark on the side of the rib in the above photo's. I saw a receiver that had the same stamp....not on the rib but on the actiuon side near the top edge.

Bill

11. LI

LI TS Member

I agree with the posters that think these marks are from assembly, not galling. Something is there, or has been there, to scratch the surface. Check for any burs, or nicks etc., and pay careful attention to how you assemble and disassemble the gun. The Krieghoff grease is as good as any thing else on the market. Larry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

krieghoff hinge pins