1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

K80 Firing Pin

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Terminator, Apr 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Terminator

Terminator TS Member

Hi! A quick question for the K80 gurus. The firing pin on my top barrel is sitting out past the face of the receiver,it works OK, but I am thinking that maybe the pin or spring is broken. Is this a do-it-your-self fix, or do I take it to a gun smith? THANK YOU.

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Before you spend money, if you are comfortable doing so, remove the stock.

With the hammers cocked, locate the firing pins and push them in with a punch. If you feel a substantial spring resistance, but the suspect pin has a gritty feeling, you may just have residue in the firing pin channel.

Use of a Gun Scrubber or Brake Cleaner and compressed air may solve the problem. I spray the pins from the rear while pushing them in and letting them retract. If you use compressed air, be aware the "C" clips on either side of the receiver btween the tangs may be blown off. You will get black "tar" from the firing pin hole and may need to repeat process several times.

Then, lube the receiver with a quality gun lube. Be very liberal with the gun oil. You will be removing lube from the reciver, and the very high performance hammer springs. Spray it in, and let it drain for a while, or blow out excess with the air hose. I like Ballistol. If some gets on the stock, it will not damage the finish, and is overkill for sporting arms. It is fantastic stuff.

If you do not feel substantial spring resistance (both pins should feel about the same), or the firing pin still will not retract, it is annual time. I am sure folks have their favorite 'smiths. I prefer to have Krieghoff Intl' service mine.

Do NOT let the local 'smith tackle this job. These firearms can be disassembled without special tools, but damage free reassembly without them is another story.

Krieghoff Intl' regularly reassembles these guns when sent in pieces. You do not want to send them your gun in this condition.

3. B.C.

B.C. Member

firing pin is in two pieces, probably just dirt or rusted return spring. B.C.

4. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Most of my shooting these days with my K-80 is with the Unsingle barrel, which is the bottom firing pin. I clean the receiver by the method above and it is surprising the amount of goop that comes out of the firing pin hole.

Cleaning the receiver several times a year can only help reliability, and defer the cost of annuals. It costs as much to ship my high grade '80 as the annual costs, including insurance.

Often the Browning Citoris, which have easily removable firing pins, will regain bottom barrel reliability when the receiver and firing pin channels are cleaned.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.