1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

K80 Firing Pin Chipping

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Al Wilson, May 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Al Wilson

Al Wilson Member

Had sent my K80 back to Kriegoff International several years ago to replace chipped or burned firing pin tips. Recently noticed that they are chipping again and sometimes may burn through a primer probably because of the sharp edges on the chipped areas. Does anyone have a solution to prevent chipping or have access to K80 firing pins that may not do this?

Al Wilson
  2. Rebel Sympathy

Rebel Sympathy Member

I've had them do that on my K-32. After about 3-4 years of tolerating it, I had the firing pins replaced (had an annual). Problem solved for many more years. They're just now starting again after 8-12 years. Guess it's about that time again.....

Mike
  3. 221

221 Active Member

cheddite primers?
  4. miketmx

miketmx Active Member

I had the same problem with firing pins on a Browning Citori and Cheddite primers. No problems with other brands of primers.
  5. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Active Member

The price to pay for using cheap primers!!
  6. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Active Member

The price to pay for using cheap primers!!
  7. paul7177

paul7177 Member

As others said, stay away from Cheddite primers. I had about a 15% piercing rate with them.
  8. paul7177

paul7177 Member

As others said, stay away from Cheddite primers. I had about a 15% piercing rate with them.
  9. paul7177

paul7177 Member

10. paul7177

paul7177 Member

11. paul7177

paul7177 Member

As others said, be careful of Cheddite primers. I had about a 15% piercing rate with them.
  12. claybrdr

claybrdr Active Member

Need a release keyboard?
  13. hmb

hmb Active Member

Maybe you are putting too much powder in your reloads. HMB
  14. Al Wilson

Al Wilson Member

Hi:

I just checked my records and have found that the firing pins were placed in the K80 almost 5 years ago - time flies! Within these years I have only fired between 2 and 3 thousand shells; this may be on the high side.

I only use Rem STS and Fiocchi primers to load all of my shells on a PW press. So Cheddites are not in the picture.

All of my loads are 7/8 and 1 ounce with Alliant recipes that are respectably low pressures.

Still feel that somewhere there are better quality firing pins than what KI is supplying. Over the years I have seen other shooters send their K80s back for servicing and find that their firing pins were considered poor and KI automatically replaced them. Saw one person aggravated because his firing pins started chipping within 2 months.

By the way, I have shot probably over 20,000 rounds in my 1100 and the tip of the firing pin looks like new!!!
  15. goose2

goose2 Active Member

My friend had to send his k 80 back because of the same issue. He had shot 40-50 flats of Rio shells. I have never had an issue with my k 80 (knock on wood) firing pins and only use Win 209 primers.
  16. Al Wilson

Al Wilson Member

Thanks Goose2 for your information. I think most reloaders know that RIO primers used for the RIO shells are the largest primer to be found at this time. Interestly enough the RIO primers are slightly hotter than the WIN 209s and can be compared to Cheddites as far ignition "power." However if the the RIOs were not burning through due to the firing pin piercing thru the primer, then I wonder why his K80 firing pins were damaged with shooting the 40 - 50 flats of RIO shotgun shells.

Let's not get into the ways that primers are measured to determine ignition rate, power, etc.; I know something about how this is determined.

The reason that I use the REM STS and FIO 616 is because they are close as far as "power" with FIO 616 being slightly milder. I also like the Fiocchi primers because the primer area to be hit by the firing pin is completely flat for detination in an O/U that has firing pins not hitting in the exact center.

Let's see if someone can theorize why the RIO primers and some other primers destroy some K80 firing pins.
  17. jls7522

jls7522 Member

I had trouble with mine after shooting new Rio shells (about 20 flats). In talking with both ottsville and earnest marlatte, there seems to be a bunch of trouble lately with Rio, Gamebore, Cheddite and Fiocchi primers/shells and krieghoff firing pins (particularly the bottom barrel). Frustrating problem to say the least, but only premium shells/primers for me going forward.
  18. Al Wilson

Al Wilson Member

Thanks jls7552 for your response.

I am sure KI at Ottsville knows of the problem with some primers, maybe shells also and I know they often recommend using only new ammo. But now they are finding problems with their firing pins for several or more new shotgun shells on the market?

You would think that they (KI) would use some great German knowledge and re-develop their firing pins to handle all newly manufactured ammo especially with competitive shooters trying to keep costs down are using less costly ammo than Federal, Remington and Winchester. Even Federal, Remington and Winchester primers really are much higher priced and are no longer many shooters choice because of cost.

My Remingtons, Charles Daley, and Weatherby shotguns don't have damaged firing pins from shooting reloads! I wonder whether or nor Perazzi, Kolar and Balser are having any firing pin problems, or is it just K80s?

In my opinion it sounds terrible to market a great gun and tell people to use only high quality ammo and/or primers to save your firing pins.

After I gather more information I will call KI to sound off, but first I really think someone out there has some good answers as to what is wrong with K80 firing pins and why lower cost ammo and primers are damaging their firing pins.

By the way I have shot Estates, RIO and lately some Top Gun in my 1100 and they are shoot and function flawlessly. I shoot these in the 1100 to let the hulls fly since I only reload AA and REM STS hulls for my K80.
  19. 221

221 Active Member

You can use the best steel in the world, but if the primer is piercing, it will flame treat the end of the firing pin and it will become brittle and erode away. Blaming the mfgr. when that is happening is BS. If your gun is piercing a certain primer, change primers, or keep buying new pins. If you're piercing primers and the pins are eroding....then it's your fault.

If the bottom pin is dragging across the shell that can chip off the end also. You guys that pierce primers are lucky you do not make a habit of doing that with a rifle.
  20. jls7522

jls7522 Member

I didn't notice pierced primers in my case but admittedly didn't looks that closely as I was pitching the hulls. I do know over the last 5 years I have shot a bunch of rio and kemen shells out of a kolar and a 390 without any problem. Is something different with those guns or have they changed the primers? I am not sure of the answer. A 10k plus gun should be able to shoot everything that you put in it. That said it isn't worth the frustration to me so I am shooting premium only.

As for the reloaders (I used to be one), I cannot understand not springing for the premium primers. Even a $50 difference per 5k is only a quarter a box....
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.