1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

K80 custom stock questions???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by atadams77, Mar 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. atadams77

atadams77 Member

I am considering a custom stock for my k80 trap combo. I am going to be germany at the end of the month and am wondering if anyone has been to Ulm to visit the K. factory? Anyone been fitted for a custom stock in Ulm or the USA by K.? If so, whats the typical price range and how long does it take?

Just curious see if anyone has any experience with K. and custom K. stocks/making. Thanks all!

2. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

If your looking for a stock for trap shooting look to a us stock fitter. They don't even shoot American trap in Germany unless it's at a US base. Dennis is excellent.
    Joe

3. kgun_shooter

kgun_shooter Member

atadams77,

Look at what the pros are shooting, wenig stocks, you can't go wrong with wenig. Always look at the ones that have been proven, looks aren't everything.

4. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Which pro's? Besides the ones who were given their stocks and did not pay for them Can't think of any shooting a Wenig stock but I could be wrong. I don't think Leo or Kay are shooting Wenig stocks. Remember Most pro's know what they need and if they don't they can shoot anything better than the rest anyway. I know for a fact that one of those pro's your referring to was given his stock. Fred is gone. So who is Wenig's in house Gunfitter? Don't get me wrong Wenig makes a very good stock but they are not known as a gunfitting company. Dennis DeVault would be a much better choice.

Joe

5. Pride Engineer

Pride Engineer Member

I would like to offer a bit of a different opinion on stock fitting then Mr Gunfitter as he calls himself. First of all, Dennis DeVault is indeed a great stock fitter but so also is Wenig. There are several top shooters shooting Wenig stocks and a whole bunch of serious registered shooters shooting their stocks as well. The fact that Fred is no longer part of the business has not diminished the quality of the Wenig products. They have always had a great fitter named Jimmy and they now have another great individual in Bill. Wenig is very capable of producing a fine stock and so of course is DeVault. I have used them both and they are both excellent. Either of these people can produce a great trap stock for you.

Krieghoff now has a custom stock fitter at their facility in Ottsville. I have not used them so I can not speak to their abilities personally. I do know Cory Cogdell, USA bunker trap shooter, is using one of their stocks with good success. No need to go to Germany.

Mark Zauhar

6. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

I went to KI. Excellent experience. Don was right on with my stock and dimensions. All barrels patterned the same with the sheets to prove it. Plenty of wood blanks to choose from. Price wise, well, depends on the wood grade you want. Not sure what my final cost was. Call KI and ask for Janine. She'll help you. Dave T.

7. LI

LI TS Member

I agree wholeheartedly with Pride Engineer; I had a stock made by Wenig for my Trap Special.It is the first wood topped stock I have been able to shoot without getting beat up since the late 80's. I would not hesitate to use Dennis either. I have been through the factory in Ulm, and while it is a wonderful place, I would not have them build a custom stock for ME.Larry

8. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I have been to Ulm. You arent just going to walk in. Call now to set up an appointment just to see the place. Anshutz is right across the street and Gamba just down the street.

Anyone mentioned- you have to go there- just ordering a Wenig stock or one from Devault wont get you anything- if you werent fitted there

Regards from Iowa

Gene

9. DB Bill

DB Bill Active Member

Buying a stock from Krieghoff is about the most expensive way to do it. The wood they put on their hi-grade guns is fairly decent but there are a lot of American stock-makers (Phil Simms comes to mind) that can provide a custom fitted stock with much higher grades of wood than Krieghoff will. I don't believe you could get even a medium grade of wood fitted for less than $4K. Take a look at the prices listed for wood on their website and then look at some examples.

10. SMITH47

SMITH47 Member

S&S Plus made me a stock and i am very satisfied with it.

ernie

11. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

I have a friend that went to Kreighoff for one last year. A gorgeous piece of wood fit to him at a price comparable to the market place. He speaks very highly of his experience with them. Good luck with yours, Bob

12. B.C.

B.C. Member

I don't think they offer custom stock work for the K80 in Germany, Ottsville is the place to go , I would use Wenig or Phil Simms ! B.C.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.