1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

K80 Blows up

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by joegriff, Feb 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joegriff

joegriff Member

Yesterday at Triple B's in Southern Cal I Witnessed A friends K80 Blow up while shooting a practice round. I had never been that close to such an explosion. Very loud and happy to say no serious injuries except to cuts on fingers and hands to two people. The Guns receiver and barrels chamber, right side were blown off as well as forearm in pieces. The hull was still in what was left of the chamber was split from brass to end. Shell was a HS AA. I'm no expert so no other comments needed. I own two K32's and don't load 12ga HS AA's.

2. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

LOL! I am sure a pw reloader was involved! Bout time you guys check out the real problem here! Tom Rhoads

3. Nutso

Nutso Member

I saw one blow up once, or rather heard it, it was spectacular....and very loud, also thankfully no one got hurt. The top half of the chamber landed at my feet, about 200 feet from the blow up, and it cleared 60 foot maples on the way.

4. rick979

rick979 Active Member

So does he want to buy a replacement gun?

5. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

Whoa.....

6. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

...the rest of the story: I saw the gentleman ("L.B.") today, Saturday, 02-11-12, and he is one calm, smart, and tough customer. He shot a handicap event today at Triple B's with another (backup) gun. After the shoot he was "wrenching" on another K-80 he had to get going for future use. Reminded me like a thrash in the pits at the drag races. He set the second K-80 up with release triggers (With help from "Crew Chief"/Trapgun Expert Joe Dillard) and went out and shot a practice round!

All this, a 23/25 with a gun that didn't fit him correctly, stock was way too long, (he will change stocks later) under bad lighting conditions, a bit of wind, and one broken and seriously sore finger, all taped up, and one other damaged and very bruised finger!!! L.B. was shooting a reload, had a "soft" sounding shot, but the target broke, loaded his gun again for his next shot, and then had the accident. He related that it was not the fault of the gun; the problem was likely a wad that didn't clear the barrel, but the shot had just enough velocity to lightly break a 16 yard target.

L.B. and Joe are "Gonzo/Tough" and remind me of privateer motorcycle racers or automobile racers from a bygone era.

L.B. and Joe, "This Bud's for YOU"

David

7. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

Wow, glad everyone is ok! I just loaded a couple AA's today just because I had them laying around. I was just telling my wife tonight about guys having issues with base wad migration on HS AA's. Freaky timing!

8. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Anytime I hear a soft sounding shot especially my own I check the barrel. If it is someone elses I watch to see if they do, if not, I tell them to.

9. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Loud noise, alot of damage, were the shells reloaded with a fine grained ball powder? Might have been a detonation. HMB

10. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

A wad in the barrel is bullshit. If a shell had enough force to break a target, the wad cleared the barrel. This was a chamber burst, not a mid-barrel or end of barrel rupture.

11. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Base wad of the shell would do it, if the shell came apart. That means the wad and shot would not be affected. But it would sound a little different.

12. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

If the target broke the wad would not have remained in the barrel. Since we know he had one bad shell, there is no reason to think he didn't have more.

Stl Flyn, Perhaps they saved the evidence.

13. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Powder detonation, right Johnny? HMB

14. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Now I wonder if the charge "oil canned" like a highly under charged .38 special. I am unaware if this can or cannot happen due to an undercharged shotgun shell. Anyone?

The target broke, albeit lightly. The report was very loud and the right side of the receiver was blown out. Damage was forend wood into splinters, barrel starting approx. forcing cone area, and, of course action. Stock and trigger parts were only items worth keeping...and maybe the choke tube?

I didn't ask about any gross soiling of ah, any "personal" garments. I don't believe the gunclub will bill the shooter for the blood stains on the sidewalk; rain is predicted.

15. TFC

TFC TS Member

Wondering the vintage of this gun. anyone know the year built or sn# ?

16. billyboy07208

billyboy07208 Member

IF it was a used gun,prior stressing may have set up the failure.Someone liked the heavy loads and didnt own a scale.He got away with it,the next guy gets careless,and there goes what safety ceiling was left in the gun.
    shotgun reloading has alot more simpletons that never learned the basics thru loading for mettalic catridges,used progressive loaders are sold between individuals with nothing more than "its set up for 1 oz loads and green dot", and so many do not own scales to verify the used bushings havnt been altered.
    Over the years ,I never met more than 1 metalic reloder who didnt own a scale.
    Ive met like 10 shotgun reloders who didnt own a scale.They were all ho-hum and looked at me funny when confronted.

17. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

Rick a stuck wad won't blow at the chamber. And the way i read the OP was the chaber area let go. I have witnessed it first hand standing next to a guy in a shoot off. Not pretty is all i will say. And just a tad un-nerving.

18. rustygun

rustygun Member

Rick, That has been done.

Bruce Bowen tried to blow up a gun a few years ago, couldn't do it with a stuck wad.
    I wouldn't try it at home. A stuck wad may bulge or split a barrel but it won't blow a chamber/ receiver.

19. rustygun

rustygun Member

Rick, Nobody is saying to shoot out a stuck wad.

We are saying that a stuck wad will not create the amount of destruction in this case.

20. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Rick, long before you discovered this shooting site a highly knowledgeable trap gun manufacture performed several tests while trying to rupture a barrel. All his tests turned into failures, including double charges of powder, double charges of shot, extra live primers mixed into the powder, 20 gauge shell jambed into the the forcing cone of the 12 ga. test barrel. The person who carried out these tests was Bruce Bowen proprietor of Bowen shotguns and knows 1,000% more then Rick Barker about shotguns and pressures. What that K-80 experienced was detonation in a hundredth of a nanosecound.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.