1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

K80 Barrel Types - What Are They

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by citadel, Apr 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. citadel

citadel Active Member

I recently purchased a vey nice K-80 with a 21,000 serial number. The receiver and wood are great but it is fitted with an older Remington 30" barrel. The fitting was done by Krieghoff and it is a nice job and everything works great. Nevertheless I am interested in obtaining a 32" K-80 double barrel and maybe a single barrel 34" to use the gun for trap. I like to shoot in a very heads up position and am use to a rib that is higher than the one on the existing old Remmington barrel.

The thing is that I know from nothing about the choices that are available in Krieghoff barrels. Can anynone give me a quick summary of the various barrels that are available or point me to a source where I can find the information.

I bought the gun because it was priced right and vey pretty with beautiful custom wood but I would like to do the next it with a bit of intelligent planning. This is a bit backwards I know but it got me my first k-80 and so off to a new shooting adventure. Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Doug

2. Jimmyc

Jimmyc TS Member

I was told there were two original ribs for o/u barrels, the step rib trap & the sporting clays rib. Now we have the trap special "high" rib and the special sporting rib (I think it's 9/16" tall +/-). not sure about singles. Just got done redoing my k80. If you need any info pm me, but I'm not an expert I'll just share what I learned.
    Jimmy

3. Jimmyc

Jimmyc TS Member

Forgot about widths of ribs. The skeet/ sporting rib can be 8mm or tapered 12-8 or 10-6. Trap ribs are 12-8 tapered.
    Jimmy

4. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

There were a lot of "other ribs" not mentioned-

If you are looking for trap- there are two normal choices- that being a step rib for and unsingle and double -- unless you pay a lot more money for the new higher ribs

Regards from Iowa

Gene

5. citadel

citadel Active Member

Thanks for the information.
    Doug

6. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

This should help you with the current production stuff:

http://www.krieghoff.com/ki/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=57&Itemid=67

There are a couple things missing which are no longer mfg, such as the 8mm ribbed skeet barrels (really closer to an 8-7 rib), the 12mm parallel rib (which is seen on 28" tula choke barrels, at least one 30" Model 32 barrel that was for sale here, and a non-tula choke version made for the european market), the 28" and 29" step ribbed pigeon barrels (same as the 30" step rib barrels, just shorter), the Vandalia ribbed Model 32 barrels (close to the same width as the 8mm barrel, just higher, in fact higher than the step rib K80 barrels). Also missing is the 12-8 rib which is what all the sporting barrels came with before the 10-6. That rib was available on 28", 30", 32", and 34" barrels (with the exception of one set of 34" barrels which were custom ordered with the 8mm rib). The older heavy skeet barrels, 28" and 30", should have the 8mm rib, the newer heavy skeet barrels (of which there are only 30 or so in the country so far) are the 10-6.

Anything I missed Gene?

I think I got them all, the one most people have never seen or heard of is the straight 12 rib.

7. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

The 12 MM rib - they did make and put on both O/Us and unsingles -- they also had some unsingles with ramp ribs- both 12-8 and straight 8

hmmm lets see

Oh- a 12 MM rib on top of a vandalia rib on an O/U

I am sure there are others

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.