1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

K80 Barrel Fitting Help

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by GunDr, Feb 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Determining when the ejectors will trip, is all depended on the location of the forend iron, it has nothing to do with a bbl's ejectors.

If the forend is not kept tight to the receiver, especially while the gun is opening, this can give inconsistant tripping of the ejector hammers/plungers located in the forend iron.

There is also the possibilty that the gun is not opening far enough.....enough to cock the hammers, put not trip the ejectors.

Doug

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Doug is right.

Assemble the firearm, decock it and squeeze the forend tightly toward the barrel. Open the gun while doing this. If the gun ejects normally, the forend is loose on the barrel, and needs fitting. If this does not change anything, or makes things worse;

assemble the firearm and put something soft between the forend iron and the barrel, to push it away from the barrel. Now, open the decocked firearm and see if the ejectors trip. If so, you can semi permanently install a spacer on the forend iron flat behind the latch to make the gun work. If not, you should send the gun to Ottsville to let them fit the barrel.

Remember, you cannot easily replace metal you remove! Indiscriminately filing on a Krieghoff is pricey.

3. Shooting Coach

If you have a leter model, the forend iron has an adjustment built in it where you can replace a shim to take care of this. Of course, you will have to refit your other barrel(s).

I am glad the shim worked for you. If you are so inclined, you can form a thin piece of metal that will fit the lug, and use epoxy to attach it.

The other option , as you have figured out, is to re solder the lug and reblue the barrel. If the barrel ears are not worn, this runs about $350 or so.

4. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

I had a machinist friend make me a fixture that imeresses the barrel in water right up to the top of the forend lug. I then put a spot of weld with a mig and file to fit. Takes only a few minutes. Jeff

5. Shooting Coach

Great Fix! This makes the barrel fit pretty permanent, and does away with the need for an expensive reblue.

6. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

To tighten the forend tighter to the receiver would involve adding a little weld to the back of the lug. This is not a "do it yourself" task. It's not for the faint of heart. Too much heat and the lug falls off.

The lug can be welded, and the forend refit, without the need for rebluing. Cost...$100.

Now with that being said, the overall fit of the bbl will need to be addressed first. Just because the bbl fits and locks into the receiver, does not mean that the bbl's breech face is tight against the standing breech of the receiver. This would be the first issue to be checked. If it does not...and it must, then oversized joint roll pins/screws with need to be installed. Of course, the original bbl will need then to be refit.

As long as the top lever is sitting in a comfortable position, no welding would be needed on the water-table ears...this is where rebluing would be neccessary. cold blue, just does not match up too well with the original.

7. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Like I said in my reply. No chance of the lug coming off in water. Not all lugs have the same amount or quality of solder. Sorry if I am to safe. Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

changing the shims on a krieghoff barre

filing forend iron forum

how to change forend on krieghoff

krieghoff barrel shims

krieghoff fitting help

krieghoff k80 acs barrel shim replacement