1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

K80 barrel extractor problem

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by gunner, Feb 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gunner

gunner TS Supporters TS Supporters

Have a new (to me) K80 with 30" barrels. Problem is that the bottom shell rim hangs,slightly, on the lower firing pin hole during closing. If it is closed normally, you just feel a slight hang up, and very small piece of some of the hull rim is shaved off. I've taken the new style extractors out, and there are no burs, etc., to be found. Any suggestions before I box it up and send back to Krieghoff. Not a big deal, just enough to be aggravating. Could close the barrel, then reopen to let the extractors down, before reloading, but would prefer not to. Thanks in advance for info.

2. tj303

tj303 Member

I had the same problem. The bushing around the firing pin isn't fitted correctly. Took it Krieghoff and they fixed it. TJ

3. Rebel Sympathy

Rebel Sympathy Well-Known Member

Probably an indication it has been shot a lot. Send it to Krieghoff; they will fix. Mike

4. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

The bottom half of the firing pin hole edge is too sharp and needs to be ever so slightly chamfered. You'll need to remove the firing pin block from the receiver to do it properly.

5. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

could also be hinge pin wear

Regards from Iowa

Gene

6. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

As the gun is being closed after a shot, the ejector is extended under spring pressure.

As you close the gun with a new round in the chamber, the ejector begins to retract, but the loaded round does not follow. The loaded round gets pushed into the chamber by riding against the breech face of the receiver.

As the round slides down the receiver's face, the rim of the shell will ride into the firing pin hole, even as small as it is. If the firng pin hole has a sharp edge around the bottom half of the hole, the rim will pass over the sharp edge and shear of a tiny little bit of brass (or steel).

The next time you are at the club, ask to look inside of some of the other shooters guns and its highly likely most will show gold colored flakes laying in the bottom.

My first experience with this was when we were manufacturing 90-Ts at Kolar. The 90-T has a larger diameter firing pin than most others, and that allowed the rim of the shell to sit deeper into the firing pin hole. With the sharp edge, if the gun was closed softly, the rim would hang up on the hole and not close. Close the gun with a little more authority, and a sizeable chunk of brass came off. We starting putting a small chamfer around the hole and the problem disappeared.

7. gunner

gunner TS Supporters TS Supporters

Thanks for the info guys.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

ejector dragging against breech face when closing k80

k80 ejector issue

problem k80 shooting one barrel only