1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

K80 .765 Can Ya Shoot It?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by idoc, Feb 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. idoc

idoc Member

Need some help. Can I shoot this semi-light Barrel? It's ok'd to shoot 12 gauge but will I loose too much velocity from this much back boring? Also haven't patterned it yet. Thanks in advance..............Rich

2. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

K80 .765

Sounds like a carrier barrel. Lightens the weight so you can use skeet tubes. I don't believe they are for regular use!!

3. idoc

idoc Member

K80 .765

Ole,

It is a carrier barrel but has been OK'd for 12 gauge. They made these barrels back in the early 90's and choked them Improved Cyl. The outside diameter is .8125. Not enough metal to put a removalbe choke in. I suppose the best thing for me to do is try patterning a few different shells and see what happens. Rich

4. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

K80 .765

If you reload, keep pressures to 9000 psi minimum. Some promo loads, and light target loads will not perform well in cold weather.

Using a fast powder for 24 gram and one ouncers, and a full load of powder for 1 1/8 oz, will give you problem free shooting.

I had a Krieghoff Low Rib barrel bored to .755 with Vaporizor Choking, and never had a problem with it. Like a dummy, I sold it to Les Greevy for one of his students. OTOH, I imagine the shooter loves it.

If it is too light for you, let me know. I have a Ballistic Specialties weight that fits between the barrels, under the forearm. $50, shipped.

5. P.Neumann

P.Neumann TS Member

K80 .765

Shooting Coach, I will take that barrel weight for $50 shipped if you want to get rid of it. Let me know, Thanks XXXpneumann21@yahoo.comXXX re-move the xxx

6. Shooting Coach

K80 .765

Brother Neumann

You have mail

7. Bavaria-Grade

Bavaria-Grade Member

K80 .765

Who OK'd the carrier barrel to have 12 ga. shells fired in it? Was it Krieghoff or your local gunsmith?

All information that I ever read indicated that carrier barrels that weighed the same as a regular 12 ga. barrel with the sub guage tubed inserted whould NEVER be fired with a 12 ga. shell.

8. Shooting Coach

K80 .765

True carrier barrels have extractor mods and are unsuitable to use with 12 ga ammo. The Semi light barrel partially offsets the weight of Skeet tubes, but unlike a Carrier barrel, 12 ga shells may be fired in them. They are about 5 oz lighter than a standard 30" barrel. Semi light barrels were available only in 30" length with TF rib, and were choked IC/IC.

I have little doubt that non standard barrels were built to order. Krieghoff will make a one of a kind barrel, gun, or accessory if you want it.

9. idoc

idoc Member

K80 .765

Thanks coach. Bought one from Ballistic last week...$100. Bad thinking on my part not to ask first. Again thanks anyway...........Rich

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.