1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

K32 engraving

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by kcbullets, Sep 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kcbullets

kcbullets Member

I am considering having engraving done to my K32. The gun itself is in good condition. I have to stay reasonably priced, maybe in the $1500 range. Does this add value to the gun, or should I leave it original? Any recommendations on engravers and if you have any potential displays on your K32 that you could share it would be appreciated.

2. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Usually if you go cheap on the engraving it will not add to the value and might detract

I cant imagine you will get much quality engraving for $1500 in the US- at todays labor prices

Gene

3. kcbullets

kcbullets Member

Gene, do you have any recommendations?

4. JPSemper

JPSemper Member

Bill Maines

5. David McMillen

David McMillen Banned User Banned

Good choice. Bill Maines.

6. Baber

Baber TS Member

In the long run you would be better off buying a factory engraved gun and selling what you have. Upgrading guns is usually a waste of $$$

T

7. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

We all have our go to people that only do a few guns a year.

Another thought is you might want to trade your metal in on an already after market engraved set

Remember- there isnt a collectors value associated with factory engraving but it does set a benchmark

Regards from Iowa

Gene

8. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

Gene's right. I wanted to upgrade mine and decided to look for a used San Remo that I liked. Wait long enough and the right one at the right price will come along. Bulge.

9. Rebel Sympathy

Rebel Sympathy Well-Known Member

Figure 2/3 of what you spend on aftermarket engraving will have been wasted when you go to sell - and we all go to sell, eventually.

The advice offered for selling what you have and buying another 32 gun with factory engraving is sound. But, if you take for example, a San Remo and have it nitrited, or nickled, you will mostly have destroyed the monetary benefit of doing that - except for your own personal enjoyment. The next buyer may, or may not, see the beauty of the gun modifications in the same light as yourself. Chances are he/she won't.

Today, the K-32 guns are in an early state of transition. By that, I mean the guns are moving from just shooters, to shooter-collectibles - to collectibles. The original, low-mileage, unmolested originals will eventually command the highest prices; especially those above "standard" grade.

One day soon 4-barrel skeet sets in a totally unmolested state with original leather bound cases and original finish red wood will be highly desireable. More and more are being split up and modified each month and every year. Original trap 32's are being modified into Sporting Clays guns. Today, they are not yet that rare. However, before long, someone will notice there are not that many still around in original condition and the race will be on.

This is nothing new; nor is it "genius thinking" on my part. It is simply a repetiton of the history of the curve of firearms values and collectibility.....