1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

K32 Bore diameter is .732...question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Lance S, Jul 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lance S

Lance S TS Member

I currently have fixed chokes and am planning to send them out for chokes. I was told that the old K32's had thin walled barrels so they needed the Briley thin wall chokes. But after reviewing some threads it looks like the .732 is standard on the new barrels too. So do I need to have thin walls or can I have standard chokes put in?

Thanks in advance.

lance

2. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

standard chokes?

I have seen so many bad installations of standard chokes even by big named people on here- I would ask why?

If you mean can you have them threaded for Krieghoff chokes - the answer is no

Get one of the square thread designs and stick to the big 3 - Briley, Angleport, or Seminole

Regards from Iowa

Gene

btw- people when they say thin are often confused but thin usually means the amount of barrel wall thickness and has nothing directly to do with bore size unless you start with a barrel and then backbore it- and why anyone would pay to do that is beyond me

3. Lance S

Lance S TS Member

My plan is to send them out to have chokes put in them. They currently are fixed. I was told the k32's have thin walls so they need the briley thin wall chokes put in them. I thought that meant the inside bore diameter might be larger than the standard .732 but it must be that the outside diameter is not as large as the current barrels. My outside diameter is around .808 if I remember correctly.

thanks,

lance

4. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Thin wall; refers to the thickness of the metal making up the barrel. Not related to bore diameter......Bob Dodd

5. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

The best thin walled chokes I have seen come from Tom Wilkinson.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

6. Lance S

Lance S TS Member

Does Tom have a website or contact information. Can he do the boring as well or does he just make chokes.

Thanks in advance.

lance

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

He can do whatever needs to be done. HMB

8. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

Old model 32 Krieghoffs can run as large as .740 bore. I know, I have one. "thin-wall" is a relative term, depending on wall thickness of barrel.

9. Lance S

Lance S TS Member

Yeah,

I actually was wondering what the outside diameter of the standard K80 barrel. Anyone out there have a caliper handy? I would love to know what the O.D. is and compare it to mine.

I will give Tom a call tomorrow. My concern is that I saw someone posted that the barrel work runs around a grand which is significantly higher than Briley at $399.00 I may not be able to afford him but I will certainly give him a call to find out.

Thanks,

Lance

10. TNCoach

TNCoach Member

Lance,

I would contact Jim at Eysters - He's the Best!

http://www.jimeyster.com

(740) 625-6131
    jimeyster@ecr.net

TNCoach

11. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

From your posts, I'm getting the idea that you have not actually measured your gun's bore diameters with a bore micrometer - if that is the case, I strongly suggest doing that. At one time, I owned two Model 32 trap combos and all of the six bores measured between .727" and .729". If someone before you had your barrel altered, its bores and chokes could be anything BUT what is marked on the barrel.

You have to know what you have before you can entertain modification options. I've seen Krieghoff barrels that were rendered worthless by poor gunsmithing. A barrel like that may not be worth $399.

Ed

12. Lance S

Lance S TS Member

Ed,

I am not sure why you would assume I hadn't had the the barrels miced. I listed they were .732 and that is exactly what they are. I have also measured the current fixed chokes and the wall thickness. I have spoken with Kolar and with Briley and both have told me that they could put chokes in them. I am not concerned about what they currently are as they are being altered for chokes. I was curious, as per the last question I stated, about the outside diameter of the current k80 barrels. I would like to know, in comparison to mine, how much thicker the barrels are. My preference, if possible, is to have regular chokes put in them instead of thin wall chokes. I doubt that is possible because of the thickness of the barrel which now makes me wonder what the cut off in thickness is for regular chokes vs. the thin wall chokes.

13. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I'm sorry Lance, but nowhere in your previous posts do you mention measuring your bores yourself. You mention what you believe Model 32 bores are supposed to be, but not what yours actually are.

Just trying to help... It won't happen again.

Ed

14. Lance S

Lance S TS Member

Ed,

I reread my post, it sounded sharp. Sorry about that, it wasn't intentional. I must not be very good at explaining myself. I am having trouble getting the information I was interested in. I originally thought that bore size equated to wall thickness. I assumed the O.D. was the same on k80/k32 barrels but that's not correct. Kolar asked me to give them the internal bore diameter even though I had given them the barrel I.D. and O.D. at the barrel tip with a micrometer. Either way, my current barrels have a .732 bore diameter which is similar to the newer k80 bore diameters. I thought that because they were the same, I might be able to use a standard choke but I know realize bore diameter doesn't determine whether or not you get the thin wall chokes, only wall thickness does.

My hope was to be able to put regular thickness chokes in it so I could try the mullers or the Extreme chokes that Krieghoff now has. Neither companies make their chokes in thin wall versions. Muller actually said he wasn't planning on it and that it was "dangerous" to have thin wall chokes in your gun. I am certainly no expert but I haven't heard of thin wall chokes blowing up in barrels lately. I realize they are fragile and if dropped will bend out of round easily but dangerous my be overstated.

15. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

There must be hundreds of thousands of thin-wall chokes of all configurations in use. I have a couple of guns like that myself. The only choke I ever had blow out was a standard Perazzi one which - as you probably guessed - I faintly remember dropping.

You never mentioned what the choke constriction in your gun is now, though . . .

And one last thing. Many of us who have had a bunch of Vandalia-ribbed K-32 barrels consider them to be the very best chokes ever. As I look back though my data books I see results I have _never_ seen since. If I had one now I would need a very, very good reason to downgrade to "tubes."

Neil

16. Lance S

Lance S TS Member

Hey Neil,

I have the Vandalia-ribbed OU as well. It's great and even though it's a "trap" setup I shoot sporting clays with it as well on a regular occassion. It actually shoot really flat and straight. I love the gun.

The barrels are IM on the bottom and Full on the top. The challenge is that I use the gun for everything, skeet, trap and sporting clays so i really struggle with my restriction. I can't afford to have a bunch of high end guns that do different things so this is my workhorse.

With that being said I don't need a full set of tubes as I am only shooting 12 gauge. So the plan is to put a set of thin wall chokes in it and be done. I really wanted to try the Mullers because of the hype but it's no big deal. The brileys pattern well and having Briley chokes in the gun won't decrease the value of the gun if I ever decide to sell it. And for $399.00 they will choke it and give me 5 chokes. That's a pretty fair deal. I'm not really worried about blowing the gun up. Like you say, there are thousands of guns out there with them in it. If there was an epidemic, we would know about it.

I will call eyster and Tom just to check pricing though to make sure I am getting the best deal. Kolar does a great job but they run an extra $100.00 for the same thing Briley does. I have been told that Kolar has really fast turn around though. I just need to get this done before fall when everyone in the country sends their gear in to get worked on. Then they really slow down.

17. GoldTrigger

GoldTrigger Member

Lance, On Krieghoff work always listen to Gene (gn77777). When he said no to getting standard thread chokes in your k-32 he did not say this, but I am sure it is because he knows the krieghoff barrels with stock krieghoff choke tubes are swelled near the end of each barrel making room for the threads and still have correct inside wall thickness. while all the thin wall installations just cut threads into existing thickness. Brileys are a great choice if you really want screw in chokes. You just might also consider another set of barrels already choked and leave your stock. Just a thought....
    Gery

18. Lance S

Lance S TS Member

Gery,

Will do, thanks for the input. Sounds like the Brileys are the way to go. I will give the other two companies Gene mention a call as well, Angelport and seminole.

Thanks,

Lance

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.