1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

K32 barrel selector

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by Easj0002, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Easj0002

Easj0002 TS Member

IMG_2861.JPG I recently purchased an earlier model 23XX K32. The only issue this gun has is the barrel selector. I have never seen one like this on a K 32 or K 80 so I am putting out this picture to see if anyone can help to identify it.

The gun will be heading out to Krieghoff and Briley's soon but I'd like to know what I'm looking at with this one.

Thanks for your time.

2. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

It looks like a Miller trigger. early gun?

3. Easj0002

Easj0002 TS Member

Serial is 23xx which should put it late 60s.

4. David McMillen

David McMillen Well-Known Member

Like Barrelbuldge said, looks like a Miller trigger, which were also put on Remington 32's. Not a K32 barrel selector.

5. Easj0002

Easj0002 TS Member

Does anyone have a picture that shows a similar barrel selector? I have been scouring pages looking at early Krieghoffs and Remington 32s and have found none similar to this. Also, I thought that by K32 serno 1000 the Remington parts had all been eliminated.

I'm not a gunsmith so I'm not going to tear the gun apart to get a better look at the guts. My intent is to figure out what doesn't belong so I know what needs replacing. By knowing that I can get a general idea of what it will cost me.

6. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Another vote for miller trigger. From what I've read, the miller eventually became the std Krieghoff 32 trigger once they exhausted the Rem 32 parts. Although if that were the case not sure why someone would change factory Krieghoff parts over to Miller,

How does the selector function (front to back, side to side, ect)?

7. Easj0002

Easj0002 TS Member

It goes side to side.

8. David McMillen

David McMillen Well-Known Member

Maybe previous owner didn't like the K32 barrel selector and had a Miller in stalled. If you are upgrading, are you in stalling a K80 trigger assy?

9. c_mayer

c_mayer Member

I think I have a Remington 32 with the same selector. I'll look tonight and pictures.

Chris

10. skeet_man

I almost wonder if someone just cut off the leg of a M32 selector for some reason.

Easj0002 thanked this.
  11. Ray Sn

Ray Sn Member

I believe the Remington 32 had a round button type barrel selector in front of the trigger.If it is a Miller trigger,it should be stamped,possibly on the trigger blade under the shoe. Ray S

12. Easj0002

Easj0002 TS Member

Folks,

Below is what I got back when I sent the picture to Ottsville. Skeet Man it appears you were correct.

Thanks for your responses everyone. I bought this one as a project and was afraid I was going to have to pay out of my orifices to have it fixed.

--------------------------------
    Thank you for your inquiry.

The trigger on this K-32 is as it should be with the exception that someone has reduced the size of the selector and added an Ace trigger shoe to increase the width. Returning it back to normal would require removing the trigger shoe and replacing the selector with an unaltered one which we can do. The cost to do this would be in the $75-100 range. Please contact us if you would like to pursue this further.

13. Easj0002

Easj0002 TS Member

Still plan on keeping the K32 trigger. Aside from installing chokes and porting the barrels, I want to get it back to as new condition.

14. K80pro#8

K80pro#8 TS Member

How is the lock up?
    I'm sure it opens easily.
    But specifically, is the gun tight when closed?
    Because I'm sure that avoiding a $300 Krieghoff annual is desired.

15. skeet_man

An annual doesn't involve any work with the lockup of the gun...

16. K80pro#8

K80pro#8 TS Member

Arent Krieghoff barrels fitted to the receivers with a jig?
    I'm sure that the lockups aren't part of a normal annual, but couldn't they tighten the fit if needed?
    Curious.

17. skeet_man

No jig that I'm aware of.

The only way to tighten a Krieghoff lockup is to weld up and refit the ears (which is the current preferred method) which also generally requires a barrel reblue, or you install a new oversize top latch. That's it.

18. Barrelbulge(Fl)

If I am not mistaken you could send your K-32 with a Rem. trigger in to Krieghoff and they would replace it with the miller trigger.

19. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Miller triggers function as do the K-80 triggers, side to side. They are stamped Miller and in the top pic if you click on it to make it larger you can see Miller stamper on the trigger. 2 pictures of miller trigger. click on pictures to make them bigger(better detail).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017 at 9:42 AM
  20. Rebel Sympathy

Rebel Sympathy Well-Known Member

Not quite. There is another way. Occasionally the ears don't need welding, but the barrel trunion slots need rebuilding. This puts the gun back on face and moves the lever over to the right (as it should be). I have had older M32's that needed one or the other - and one gun I had needed both. I think a lot of what a gun needs to tighten it up depends on where grease was applied during a long period of ownership by one person.

Barrelbulge(Fl) thanked this.