1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

K model 32 wood refinish

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Barrelbulge(Fl), Aug 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

A short time ago I purchased a K model 32 from an auction site. I sold off the barrels and the extra set of wood because I did not need them. I have a set of K-80 O/U barrels 32" with chokes, and figured I would use them since the bottom barrel really powders the birds. I sent the receiver out to be refinished in a nickel finish. Bought K-80 interneals, nickel triggerguard, and had a new K-80 top latch. Now the bad part. The wood I have is the old red Krieghoff stock and it has a crack that was repaired. Rather than buy a new stock I figured I would strip it down then refinish. At the comb someone removed the finish and the existing wood has some nice color and nice grain. My dilemna is I want to have it dipped at a furniture stipping place but not sure of the results this method would yield. Has anyone tried this method of stripping? Thanks for your advice I know it's coming. Bulge.
    PS: Alternative is to buy a set of K80 wood. Anyone have a set with a decent price?

2. dshot

dshot Member

Bulge, I have not tried to remove the finish off any stock but a friend of mind has done two K-32 he owners and the wood under the Red finish was beauitful on both gun, very well figured. He did said getting the red off the wood was a Bear, because I asked him if I piked up a K-32 would he do it for me and he said the he do it, if I took the red off first, that was the only way he would do it because getting it off was very hard.

3. BROWNST100

BROWNST100 Member

Morning Bulge

This is just my personal take on this.

I DO NOT like to have any wood subjected to chemicals that may be absorbed into the wood. No matter how it's sanded after, there may be some left in the wood to cause problems later. YES, it takes longer to strip the finish off, but to me the peace of mind is worth it.

Vern

4. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Worst job I ever attempted and never another. I dropped one off at a furniture refinisher once and never heard back from him. That finish is impervious to most stripping agents!!

5. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

GAF sells a chemical that softens the phenolic resin used on old 32s. It was only sold in 55 gal. drums, but they would send a quart sample for no charge.
    MY buddy refinished many 32 stocks with oil finish after removing old finish, very suprising figure in a lot of those.

6. Diamond Bruce

Diamond Bruce Member

We have done a lot of military stocks and the best stripper we found to remove the old finish, oil, and grease was EZ-off over cleaner. Yellow can only. Then soak in water and dish soap for a couple days This will neutralize the chemicals in the wood. Wear rubber gloves very aciditic. This also helps to swell small dints out.

7. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Do you mean EZ off OVEN cleaner? Bulge.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.