1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

k-80 worth the price ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Shoot n Holler, Feb 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shoot n Holler

Shoot n Holler Active Member

Is a k-80 that much better than the other guns. If so what are the major highlights and draw backs.I like hear what people dont like about a k-80 other than the price. It is getting close to time to make a purchase right now its between a Dt10 k-80 or maybe a mx15.

2. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

Have you shot one yet? Mike.

3. Shoot n Holler

Not the k80 the rest I have. next weekend I am going to take a look at one.Just trying to get a feel for what to look for.The advice I get now are from people that wont open up to anything but what they have and no real reason other than its a better gun. I need reasons

4. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Mike's question is an excellent one...it would be a good idea to try to shoot a sample of each one (if possible) and do your homework on the "highlights and drawbacks" on each. Like anything else, you will get a lot of "Ford vs. Chevy" opinions, but see which one seems to shoot best for you. Hard to beat an MX 15 but that is just my own opinion. Regards, Ed

5. bigben

bigben Active Member

Shoot and holler, I have owned all 3 the k-80 is still left, no comparison for me , balance, adjustability, resale, reliability etc. incinerate em!

6. blackfoot

blackfoot Member

Absolutely!Shoot them all and you will answer your own question!

Why are the big boys switching to or are shooting German guns?

7. maltzahn

maltzahn Active Member

Critics of all 3 will point to handling. Pun intended. I find all 3 to point well, if fit and balanced to my size and preference. Leaving trigger, reliability and warranty the remaining consideration. You can't make a mistake, just buy the one that you like best.

ME?....Kguns

Maltz

8. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Just like buying a new car. Let the first guy take the pounding, buy used. My 2 cents. Bill

9. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

Shootandholler, if you are within 75 miles of Pittsburgh, Pa. I will let you use a K-gun for a week to help you with your decision. Mike.

10. Justinosen

Justinosen Member

buy both. J.K. The nice nice part about the Perazzi or Krieghoff you can easily switch wood or barrels not krieghoff to perazzi of course, but it gives you alot of options as long as you have the reciever.

I dont know much about a DT10 I just know beretta makes 1500 dollar guns and 100K guns. Perazzis and krieghoff's start at 7K plus that alone gives you value. I hear all the time "that guy is shooting a perazzi" or "that guy is shooting a krieghoff". I never hear people ooggllleee over a browning or beretta. But its your money not mine.

11. Shoot n Holler

Mike, That is more than nice of you.But I am just a little farther away than that. I have the time and I just ran across a gun owner that I trust that has one for sale. I will get some rounds threw it next weekend. Sound like from the respone that I have pretty much picked out good models so far.

Thanks for the offer

12. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Consider also a Kolar Combo; American made and very high quality and very good service. I also have heard from a person who worked for one of the major companies that makes trapguns, (and he is no longer involved in that end of the industry, but in a different area and knows many insiders) that Caesar Guerrini's management is very particular and sells and backs a high quality product despite what some others may say.

Self: If I wanted a combo, I'd look hard and long at a Kolar or Caesar Guerrini or Blaser or Perrazi or K-80 in that order. Bottom line: If I were in the combo market, I'd consider Kolar first. I'd put K-80 last simply because of the very high price new and, to a minor extent, the very complicated trigger system.

If you are in the So-California area, it may be helpful for you to visit Pacific Sporting Arms in Azusa; that company carries all of what you are considering including Beretta. It is also an enjoyable visit; great eye candy there.

13. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

Hard question to answer. What are you trying to do? Increase your average?
    I think whatever you do you NEED a custom fitted stock. That will take some of the struggle out and reduce the learning curve. Resale and all that is excellent but all of us have one goal: 100 straights.... and whatever gun it takes to achieve that. Dave T.

14. Pride Engineer

Pride Engineer Member

If you have a problem with your almost new gun, you'll wish it were the Krieghoff. The other two follow the same path of most Italian gun makers, "what did you do to the fine gun we sold you". Krieghoff on the other hand stands behind their product. The DT10 has not developed any kind of following since it was introduced. It just hasn't been well received. Perazzi makes a very nice gun and can be worked on by many gunsmiths. Krieghoff will hold it's value the best and in my book is clearly the best gun. There are many reasons it has sold well despite it's higher initial price.

Mark Zauhar

15. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

budget and how well any particular gun fits you are the primary concerns.

I say always buy the best gun you can afford.

Buying any of the above mentioned guns used is a good choice. For around $500 you can completely rebuild any of them.

Save or put aside some money to make the gun fit you if it doesn't. Usually $200.00-$700. Can be spent on a gunfitting and alterations to your stock. Have someone who will do a complete job; this does not mean just making a stock adjustable but making alterations to the comb, pitch, thickness of comb, height of comb, length of pull, and possibly the addition of adjustable hardware. Make sure that if they sand or remove wood that they will be able to properly finish it.

The savings on the used gun could even pay for a complete custom stock set if you get the right deal on the gun.

Remember to shoot any gun you plan on purchasing.

I own all three and think they are all good guns when properly set up.

If your purchasing a combo gun the Krieghoff may have an edge in adjustability of the O/U barrels.

Joe

16. headhunter

headhunter Well-Known Member

Buy a used Kolar. Awesome gun and very good value.

17. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

Another vote for Kolar+.

Having a drop out trigger is a major plus no matter what you end up buying.

18. Rebel Sympathy

Rebel Sympathy Well-Known Member

Everyone is going to push you toward their favorite. As some of the respondents to your question suggested, try them all and attempt to decide which one is best for you.

That said, one day you try brand P. The next time you try brand K (American). The next time you try brand K (German built). Trouble is, you rarely shoot to the same level on different days..... Finally, you buy brand "X" and later wish you had bought brand "Y" or "Z".

Truthfully, if you buy a Krieghoff, a Kolar, or a Perazzi, you will probably shoot them all about the same - AFTER you adjust to each. There is really not all that much difference (taking stock dimensions into account). The universal measure of truth: the balance point as measured from the hinge pin.

With Guerini, CSMC, and Zoli now seriously entering the market, we are all going to be more confused than ever. And, some gun company is going to get their "knackers whacked" - since the clay target sports are not growing and there are plenty of players already..... Example: SKB.

So, decide for yourself. And, if you are like most of us, you will make a mistake or two before settling on what you prefer.

NOT Dr. Mike

19. fly

fly Active Member

The DT 10 isn't in the same league as the K or P guns.

20. DB Bill

DB Bill Active Member

If someone told me I was going to be given a great opportunity for advancement but I had to go someplace very remote to learn the new job but there were some good and bad things that went with it. The good things were the women were young, attractive and friendly, the weather was very mild and the company sponsored your shooting at no cost to you and they would give your choice of gun to take along with you -- free. The bad news --- there wasn't anyone where you were going that could fix it if something happened to it and there weren't any parts for to fix it yourself and you couldn't send it out to be fixed.

Which gun would you pick? I'd take a Bowen but if you want to shoot doubles etc the choice would probably boil down to either a Krieghoff or Perazzi -- there are a lot of guns that feel good and that wukk crush targets but of the O/U's and combo sets -- the K-80 and Perazzi have been the standard for years.

Given what I listed above I'd take a K-80 over the Perazzi but if I could take a few spare trigger springs for the Perazzi it would be a toss-up.

Bottom line -- you're buying reliability with the added bonus being you can add extra barrels, different wood, etc to make them more versatile and you can rebuild them practically forever.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.