1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

K-80 Which Hanger for Doubles

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by blackfoot, Jul 5, 2013.

1. blackfoot

blackfoot Member

Which hanger do you use for doubles- my bottom barrel shoots about a 60/40 now with a #1 hanger installed. Thanks

2. $$$SHTR

$$$SHTR Member

Blackfoot,

Are you sure the gun shoots 60/40 with a number 1 hanger?? Number 1 hanger gives the gun the highest point of impact. A 60/40 hanger is usually a number 4 or 5. If your gun does indeed shoot 60/40 with a number 1, there is no way to use the hanger method to raise your POI. Might want to check your set up again.

Tomas

3. 7mag

7mag Well-Known Member

What are the hanger #s for what point of impact?

4. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

sarge is correct

Has to do with the water tables also

Regards from Iowa

Gene

5. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

If you want a flat shooting second barrel (top) get a number 6. Mike.

6. blackfoot

blackfoot Member

OK, thanks. I was thinking that I was overshooting the second target.

7. blackfoot

blackfoot Member

Gene,this was the barrel I bought from you!

8. brownk80

brownk80 Member

bulge,

I was under the impression that the top barrel on a K-80 doesn't move regardless of which hanger you use, only the bottom adjusts.

Brownk80

9. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

BK80, true. Jeff

10. $$$SHTR

$$$SHTR Member

On the K-80, the top barrel is fixed. The hangers only change the POI on the bottom barrel. The larger numbers gives more space between the barrels, hence a lower POI.

Tomas

11. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Well it seems you have a lot of room for it to shoot flatter then. You really have to pattern it off a bench also to determine where it shoots exactly--

Sometimes if you do go to the trouble of patterning off a bench it is a good idea of having a friend shoot a 5 shot pattern also- sometimes just how you line the beads up will be different

Regards from Iowa

Gene

12. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Trap the first bird and you don't have to worry about hangers. The key to good doubles scores is the second bird. Get that second barrel tuned in. HMB

13. Barrelbulge(Fl)

I have a number 6 hanger on my K barrel and they both shoot a very similar pattern. Of cours your hold on the gun, your physical make up, your position of your adjustable comb are all going to play into this. The #6 does well for me with my settings. Bulge.

14. Gapper

Gapper TS Member

The hanger in the middle of the barrel can afford some adjustment if the front hanger isn't enough.

Make note of the space between the barrels, loosen the screw, spread the barrels a little farther apart and retighten for a higher impact. GAP

15. blackfoot

blackfoot Member

Does anyone have a #5 or 6 available FS or trade for a #1? Thanks.

16. $$$SHTR

$$$SHTR Member

Blackfoot,

I might have, as I have several. I'll look later today and get back to you.

Tomas

17. Barrelbulge(Fl)

On this site a few posters have made the statement that K.I. will swap even up on hangers. Don't know if it is true or not but you may want to call Braxton. Bulge.

18. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Plenty of mis-information here. Replacing the hanger with a much thinner or thicker one may influence the impact of the top barrel. Top barrels will often flex in the opposite direction of a bottom barrel change. Think of it as pulling down or pushing up on the top barrel. Barrels are usually set to shoot 60/40 on the bottom barrel with a #3 or #4 hanger at the factory.

Yes, the bottom barrel can be set to shoot significantly higher using the center hanger. Loosen the hanger and drive a wooden wedge between the barrels and re-tighten. No guarantees where the top barrel will then shoot!!

19. Gapper

Gapper TS Member

Good point, 'Dawg, as any more or less bending of the lower barrel has to have an effect on the upper barrel - although the upper barrel is stiffer owing to the rib attachment on fixed rib guns.

The adjustable/floating rib O/U's must bend the barrels equally toward or away from the other.

An example would be a sporter barrel with the lower barrel shooting low with a #2 hanger. The tubes were somewhat squeezed together at the middle, and loosening the center clamp allowed them to "breath" a little, spreading themselves apart.

Setting the tubes with a consistent distance "parallel" down the length of them; giving close to the same POI for both barrels out to 40 yards.

Also, the hangers on "choke tube" guns are 2 numbers off from the fixed choke guns, so a #3 choked hanger is equivalent to a #5 fixed choke hanger as far as POI adjustment is concerned.

Regards, GAP

20. $$$SHTR

$$$SHTR Member

Blackfoot,

I looked, and I have a #1, 2 #2's, and an extra #4. I have a number 4 in my gun and it shoots right at 60/40 (sorry Neal) for me.

Tomas