1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

K-80 unsingle barrel vs the KX-5 ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hammer1, Mar 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

Talking with dealers about a Krieghoff K-80 combo gun.

Comparing the price of the Trap Special with the O/U barrels only...

For the cost to make it a combo gun by adding the Unsingle barrel, one could buy a whole KX-5.

Thoughts ?

2. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

Combo!

3. ACooper

ACooper Member

Is there something wrong with the KX-5? I was going to consider this gun...I don't have $15K for the K-80 :-(

4. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

I already have a KX-5 myself and like it.

But a lot of folks I see at the trap range have gone the K-80 combo route.

I am interested to know why.

It might justify trading in my KX-5 in order to get the K-80 combo.

5. high 2

high 2 Member

I prefer to shoot one gun. So with a combo you're just changing barrels and everything else stays the same. 16, HC or doubles gun feels the same. I shoot trap, sporting, and skeet with one gun and a few barrels. My wife also shoots a Krieghoff, and I have our guns set where all of our barrels interchange with the three K80 receiver we have. Larry

6. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

I have tried the combo thing and have gone back to the two gun approch. I have never been able to shoot a combo gun for both as good as the single gun for the two different events. I shoot a KS-5 Special for singles, and a Browning Citori Trap for doubles, or muti-shot events. I could however shoot the Citori trap for singles just about as well, but prefer the KS-5. If you shoot alot of doubles and singles events the combo may be the best choice. I found it very tiring to carry that combo case and extra set of O/U barrels to the singles only events though. Jon

7. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

"I shoot trap, sporting, and skeet with one gun and a few barrels."

Are the barrels the only thing you change going from trap to skeet to sporting clays ?

Or do you have to change stocks too ?

If you do not change the actual stock wood, do you change the adjustable-comb position between the various sports ?

And do you change the barrels mainly in order to have a different rib ?

Or are there other reasons to change the barrels between the three sports mentioned ?

8. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

If you shoot all of those events you are better off buying a low rib O/U that shoots as flat as possible and shoot the same gun for everything. That way you get used to the same sight plane. Or, you could just shoot a field gun or something that shoots the same for all of those events. Just remember to cover the bird in trap, or any rising bird and follow through. Jon

9. slugbug1

slugbug1 Member

First, I believe you can buy a good used unsingle barrel for 1/2 the price of a KX-5. I shoot a KS-5 Special for singles, and a 30" K-80 for doubles. I was going to add a unsingle to the K-80, but a good one was around 2100 to 2200 bucks. I decided for 600 bucks more I could get the whole KS-5 so thats the route I went. I didn't think a 30"/34" combo would be that easy to sell if I wanted to sell it. GaryL.

10. high 2

high 2 Member

I like to shoot the same POI for skeet and sporting. My unsingle has an adj rib so I can set it to shoot higher than my O/U with the exact same sight picture. For Doubles trap I shoot a standard 30" skeet barrel. I trap the first target and the second target is about flat when I shoot it. No need to change anything. Larry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.