1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

K-80 triggers

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by AveragEd, Jun 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

The only K-80 triggers that I can recall be "problematic" were the ones in the version with a drop-out trigger group, the K-80 RT, but I forget what the concerns were with them. Model 32s and early K-80s had sear springs that were prone to breakage but they could be replaced in a minute with a needle-nose plier once the stock was removed and Krieghoff gave replacements out for free upon request. And many times, the sears on K-80 hammers had to be changed so much to get release triggers working nicely that if the release hooks were later removed, the resulting pull triggers weren't so nice.

K-80 are blessed with an abundance of moving parts in the action, so they aren't easily worked on by untrained folks without a handful of special-purpose tools. That also could be what people referred to as "problematic."

Ed

2. dverna

dverna Active Member

The more parts, the more problems. Anything mechanical can break.

I shoot a K-80 and have it serviced every 20-30k rounds. I have had two trigger issues in four years. Both "minor fixes" but one made the gun inoperable. One repair was done at the Grand at no charge.

First, if you shoot release, they MUST be installed by a factory authorized gunsmith (like Allor) or Krieghoff will not work on them. My opinion is that their triggers are the biggest weakness (due to the many small parts that must all work in harmony) but I like the gun and the feel of the triggers so I elect to use it.

Most of the other shooters I know have had no or fewer trigger problems. I have carried a spare receiver for three years so I am covered. I have lent it out once in that time (this year at the GLG).

Don Verna

3. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

Since 1991 I have had 4 K guns. Never had a trigger issue. Bulge.

4. AEST BOSS

AEST BOSS Member

I had some problems with mine.....until I was educated on "flushing and oiling the pear". I now do that religiously half way thru each season. Problem gone.

5. Gold Medal

Gold Medal Member

Agree with Jim Miller and Barrelbulge.

Had my first K-80 for 7 years, no trigger problems.

Had my current one for 13 years, again no trigger problems.

I have been told by two All-American shooters that the only thing to avoid in a K-80 is an RT, which Average Ed mentioned, and a 32" undersingle barrel because both do not hold their value.

I do not want to make any disparaging remarks about anyone elses gun, but I have yet to see a K-80 shooter with an extra trigger in a holder strapped to his belt.

6. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

Quote: "I do not want to make any disparaging remarks about anyone elses gun, but I have yet to see a K-80 shooter with an extra trigger in a holder strapped to his belt."

No, I haven't either - BUT I have seen many with a spare $5000.00 K-80 receiver in a gun case in the trunk. Take your pick - $1K spare trigger or $5K spare receiver. I'm not an economics major, but that is pretty simple!

7. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

I also want to add that in the post above, I am not knocking a K-80. They are a fine gun - I have owned one. Mechanical things break. K-80's are difficult to work on. I'm no gunsmith, but I can change a firing pin or leaf spring in a Perazzi. Have you ever had to replace a firing pin in a K-80? To the best of my knowledge, you have to take everything out of the receiver to get to the firing pin.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.