1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

K-80 Trap Special or ACS for Doubles ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hammer1, Feb 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

Looking at a Krieghoff K-80 specifically for Doubles.

Krieghoff has three models which seem appropriate for consideration.

1. The traditional Trap model

2. The Trap Special

3. The ACS (All Clay Sports)

The Trap Special and the ACS are fairly new and no retailer or shooter in my area has one of them that I know of.

From the Krieghoff website and from some conversation with retailers, if I understand the differences among the three models right...

The Trap Special is designed to allow the two barrels to be adjusted more than the original Trap model and also designed to shoot quite a bit higher.

The ACS model is designed to allow a shooter to use one gun for all clay shooting sports and has less room for adjustment. Think its range is from 50/50 to 70/30.

I am fairly new to shooting Doubles and am currently too slow. Always catch the second target on the way down. Have some good shooters coaching me so there might be some hope. Might be.

I also have a inherent life-long tendency to cant any gun -- rifle, shotgun, or handgun.

Am currently using a KX-5 for Singles and what little Handicap I have shot. As well as too many other guns.

Any thoughts on which of the three K-80 models would be my best bet for Doubles ?

"It is the Indian, not the arrow."

2. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

K-80 Trap Special or ACS ?

I asked the same question a little while ago. Search for "ACS" in the title.

From all my conversations back then, there was no real reason to choose the ACS over the TS. The TS can basically do everything the same, but with more range of adjustability.

3. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

I too asked the question earlier.

Was hoping there might be some additional information.

Talked to the kind people at Hal duPont's operation yesterday.

They said that the ACS was selling well to trap shooters.

4. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Seems to me that the decision should be based on whether you shoot more Trap or Sporting. Both will do the job just fine and work for either discipline, so pick the one based on which you shoot more.

5. tj303

tj303 Member

Definitely try a high rib before you buy, if you like the high rib go with the Trap Special. It is more adjustable and easier to adjust than the ACS. You should also consider the Blaser Super Trap (less $$). TJ

6. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

If a shooter such as myself has a bad tendency to cant the gun, does that affect the usability of a high rib gun ?

7. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

This is also another topic that has been discussed to death around here. The "general" consensus is No. Some please will swear that it does, but it's been tested by Neil and explained thoroughly and mostly everyone else agrees that it does not. Having said that, I assume that your cant is slight and not a 45" tilt to one side. If you have a big cant, maybe a better fit with an adjustable butt plate will help to keep you mostly vertical.

8. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

My advice would be, If you are shooting the second bird on the way down it is going to be harder to do with a high rib gun. Did you look at the pro-sporter?

9. macaw8

macaw8 TS Member

THE PRO SPORTER @ THE ACS RIB HIGHT IS 16MM TS IS 25MM
    IT CAN BE ORDERED WITHOUT CHOKES
    THE WEDGES THAT ALTER THE POI ARE AVAILBE DOWN TO HALVE A MIL
    THERE IS LOTS OFF DIFFERENT SIZE WEDGES IF YOU LOOK ON KREIGOFFS
    WEB SIGHT IN THE UK THEY ARE THERE
    I HAVE A PRO SPORTER COMING WITH OUT CHOKES I AM HOPING FOR A 70/30 POI HOPE THIS HELPS

10. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

Hammer, do yourself a favor and buy a combo and shoot it and shoot it some more. Shooting all these different guns every weekend will cause you never to become real good. Like someone said, look at the blaserf3 super trap combo. It's as good as it gets for a lot less money.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

content