Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

K-80 Trap Special Combo Transport Case

3K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  bluedsteel 
#1 ·
Has anyone figured out a way to transport their K-80 Trap Special Combo by air? In my opinion, the Americase is too heavy, and I could see it severely damaged by a 6 foot drop off a baggage machine.

My local Gander Mountain was kind enough to let me bring my K-80 Combo in the store to see if it would fit in a Pelican 1750 case. Almost, but not quite. When the high rib barrels are on their side, they sit too close to the receiver and buttstock for safe separation in case of a drop.

Ideally, it seems like a case like a Pelican or SKB that held the barrels "upright" (like the Americase) would work well, but I can't find one that would do the trick (at least from SKB or Pelican).

Has anyone figured this out? I would sure rather fly to the Grand than drive.

bluedsteel

#3 ·
2005Kid;

I looked at the Perazzi USA website, and there is not much info on the case other than it is "shockproof" and it "locks". I think the prices are in Euros. I don't know if it is ATA approved (Airline Transport Association) or not...

thanks though.

bluedsteel

#7 ·
ivanyl;

I looked at the Starlight web site. This case certainly has potential. Did you cut the inside of your case (foam) to fit your barrels, etc? Was it difficult to get good cuts?

One other question: How may separate pieces of foam are in the case?

MIA;

I think you were lucky that all you received was corner damage to the Americase. If dropped, these could actually shatter and break open. With the combo in the case, this is one seriously heavy rig! The Americases are great for car travel and home storage, but flying is another matter...

Thanks.

bluedsteel

#9 ·
When I bought my SKB 85TSS it didn't have a case. I looked for a combo case online, and having a few SKB cases for my bows, I went with the SKB combo case. After I bought my CG Summit combo, that gun fit in the SKB case as well, and was very protected. The only drawback that I didn't care for is the lack of locking ability on the SKB. It does have latches that lock with a key, but TSA will detroy them to open it if they want to. I know some of the newer bow cases have built in TSA locks, but I travel with a completely different bow case that allows me to use the TSA locks. I'm not familiar with the other cases they are talking about, but look into a case that either has built in TSA locks or a case that maybe you can put your own type of latch that you can use a TSA lock.

#11 ·
Bluedsteel: You've got it all wrong! First off, The Americases are too heavy for back and forth to the club, I've got 6 of them and never use them for that.
Secondly, you could probably drop them out of the airplane and they wouldn't shatter! Furthermore, Americase will build you anything you want, and Colorado will as well. I have seen my cases thrown by baggage handlers, every trip some new ding shows up, but NEVER gun damage!
TSA regs are simple, must be hard and lockable.I once tried to put a takedown softcase in my luggage, but I had to buy a hardcase at the airport. I got a plastic rifle case for $45, which you can buy at Gander Mtn for $12, gave it away when i got home. TSA locks are not reccomended, the gun will be inspected while you are there, and then you are asked to lock it when they're done looking at it and it goes down the baggage conveyor. They will never open it after that.
The problem is poorly trained personell at airports, many have a different take on the rules, so I carry a set of regs with me.

#12 ·
Eurojoe;

The TSA website pretty much concurs with your points about hard cases and locks.

However, you didn't suggest any case that would safely hold a K80 Trap Special Combo. That was my question (perhaps I wasn't clear). The cases I have tried are not wide enough to hold the high-rib combo without some part of the barrels or rib being too close to the stock or receiver, especially since all the plastic cases (Pelican, etc) appear to be designed to hold the gun with the barrels on their side.

I know I can get something custom made (for enough money). For enough money, I could charter a Cessna Citation jet...

bluedsteel

#14 ·
Yes it did, but as mentioned by myself and others, Americases are not really designed to be dropped on concrete. I am looking for something like a Pelican or SKB case....around $300.

I am particularly interested in hearing from anyone who has traveled by air carrier with a K-80 Trap Special Combo, and specifically what case they used, and how things worked out (or didn't).

bluedsteel

#17 ·
My first gun came in a NASCO case with cordura cover. It flew numerous times, and while the cover is looking it's age, the case is still like new. When I included all 3 disciplines in my shooting, I bought a Americase with cordura cover. It has travelled to Australia and Canada on 3 occasions, and has suffered zero problems. Now, my latest acquisition is again in Americases, Nasco being out of the case business, and plan to cover them and fly them. I have no doubt that the major manufacturers would NOT recommend Americase if it would not protect the gun!
Semper fi
John

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.