1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

K-80 TEST DRIVE

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by gdbabin, May 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Wanted… someone willing to lend a fellow shooter their safe-queen K-80 for the balance of the 2012 shooting season.

The requesting shooter is extremely meticulous with firearms care. He comes with recommendations for his trust worthiness, financial means, and requisite respect for all things fine and beautiful. My fastidiousness for firearms cleanliness is locally renowned.

It seems that I've become beguiled recently by the prospect of considering a trial separation from my beloved 3200s in favor of sampling the German masterpiece that shares loose kinship therewith. I have many “loose” kin, therefore I relate….

My flirtation is admittedly troublesome however on several levels. I’ve often publically proclaimed that there’s nothing more pitiful than a shitty shooter wielding a 10k firearm. This view is fraught with problems however as I’m a shitty shooter shooting a mediocre yet beloved firearm. I have trouble following my own “logic”.

I’ve also reveled in the rather atypical employment of classic guns from the past rendering my 3200s (and my egotistical whims) unique on the trap line vice the relatively dime-a-dozen K-guns. I even have 3200 license plates on my road roach commuter car.

Being ever willing to learn and with full realization the K-80 will not turn me into a Kay, Ronnie Sutton, or other K-80 phenom, I don’t believe it’s too much to seek a trial.

Those Germans want $250 for a 3-week test drive. Hell I took Aline Boom-Boom Babin for a three-year test drive to make sure she was right and I didn’t spend more than a buck three eighty on her! Luckily she had a right-handed palm swell and just the right amount of off-set.

My buddy Bob Knode has a K-80 he only uses for doubles. He might loan it to me but he’s a borderline midget and has one of those Wenig twisted-sister stocks on it custom fit to his rather abbreviated form—I love him but I’m 6’4”.

So, this request goes out to those who may be willing to provide a fellow trap shooter the chance to sample a K-80 for the duration of the 2012 season. I will guarantee full responsibility for its complete liability, comprehensive, and theft protection. I will also ensure the lender receives full and copious credit for their generosity.

I know there are K-80s out there without the attention they deserve. Let’s face it all lovely ladies crave attention. I promise to be a gentleman, respectful and grateful for her company.

Guy Babin

2. APrice

APrice Active Member

I can't really tell whether you are joking or serious, but I'll bite. What you are asking is somewhat akin to asking to borrow a man's wife for the rest of the year. Good luck with that.

3. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Ask Big Don as an all american he may help you out, He likes K guns

He is always jumping on posters, maybe he will jump on this one.

Good luck in your search.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

4. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

Why don't you just buy it? If you don't like it there is a "for sale" section on this very website. It isn't a commitment to marriage, or anything really. You are not a better person for owning it. It is just a toy and it might make you happy so go for it.

I do a lot of things that make me unhappy in the course of a week. Owning a fine "X" is something that DOES make me happy. That is a unique thing that you can do for yourself.

There...complete justification...and no charge..

5. kgunron

kgunron Member

Guy, if you you get ur paws on one let me know.I can help you tune it to you,If you want. (very important) The cool thing about those German things is that they will shoot WHEREVER your looking!Its pretty nice, Ron Sutton 301-848-0812

6. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Thanks Ron.

I will eagerly take you up on your offer once the plunge or test drive is in hand. Looking forward to seeing you and the rest of the Suttons soon.

Avaldes,

I hear you; however I hesitate to spend 10k on anything I haven't thoroughly tested out. I know many who have fine guns in their safe getting dusty that they couldn't shoot as well as they'd hoped. Worse are the ones actively shooting fine guns who lament how they should've never changed guns as they return to the bench following yet another lousy round.

Mr. Price you might be surprised, I have been in the past....

Said firearm would be returned complete with fresh K-Gun factory service accomplished (or cash equivalent), and hopefully with an option to buy.

Guy B.

7. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

O/U or Unsingle? You request that like they are the holy grail. They're a gun that's all. Mike.

8. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

O/U Mike. A 32" would be perfect--I like my doubles too!

I realize they aren't the Holy Grail--although some would argue. It would be cool to give one a real good try over an extended period. Aesthetically, I like the similarities to 3200 barrels, and I know they are a quality product that retains value.

A Blaser O/U would be cool to test drive, but the design is a bit "green" yet for me to embrace for the money considering all the other proven options out there already in that relative price range.

Guy

9. Barrelbulge(Fl)

My O/U is a model 32 with the 32 trigger. I have k-80 parts to be installed in it. My O/U is a 32" with tubes. Where are you from Babin? I might consider this depending on BATF rules.
    barrelbulge_2008_210819.jpg

barrelbulge_2008_210821.jpg

10. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

North central Maryland.

11. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Talk to Clay Target Sports in Princeton, NJ. He was able to hook me up last year. Doubt he can do it for months, but I had it for a few weeks. Chris is a great guy.

12. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Near Frostburg? Are you willing to take the drive to Pittsburgh?

13. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Ask Dr. LONGSPIT, if you want to test drive a Blaser.He may help you out, He likes Blazers. But his has a poi of 126.212 inches.+

He is always jumping on posters, maybe he will jump on this one.

Good luck in your search.

14. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

I've been generiously offered a possibility. However I privately apologized for not being more specific. Thankfully the offeree is gracious, didn't take offence and remains willing to help me along in my clumbsy quest.

As is by now obvious, I really don't know what I'm talking about very much; but my perfect canadate for a trial would be a 32" K-80 trap special O/U. No Sh_t right--who wouldn't!

VPR80, The referal to CTS and Chris in NJ is noted and will be looked into.

Any K-80 advice would be appreciated from those who know. I don't see the need for a combo.

I'm not sure about the difference (or preference) between the "floating" adjustable rib, and the adjustable Trap Special rib on the O/U barrel. Is it safe to assume the differences revolve around the height and range of adjustability?

Loan the gun and I'll have it back to you, or bought NLT the the close of the Grand.

Guy B.

15. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Guy, for a start some Sat. or Sun. you may want to drive up to Pittsburgh and I will take you to our club and you can shoot my Model 32 with a 32" barrel all afternoon.We can even put that barrel on my K-80 with an adjustable stock. That at least would be the start of your Krieghoff education. Again a 'start'. Perhaps someone nearby would offer to let you try a trap special for comparison. Then you would be on your way. Start at the beginning. Mike.

16. SirMissalott

SirMissalott Active Member

I assume you'll be needing ammo as well? LOL

17. headhunter

headhunter Well-Known Member

I'll take one too... Prefer Barvarian grade and 1oz AA shells. thanks!

18. Psycho

Psycho TS Member

I have a K-80 and a wife,you can have the wife for the rest of the year,where do I send her?

19. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Thank you for your offer Mike. Do you ever make any of the Elysburg shoots?

Psycho,

Yours too is a great offer however it would likely result in my close association with TWO angry wives. Most often in my experience, one aggravated female in my company is usually more than enough! Thanks anyway brother.

Guy

20. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Guy, you been in the whiskey allittle heavy again it appears :)

Let me try an help a guy out however if they preferred safe queen doesn't materialize for what though seek.

Head yourself down to the hardware store. Purchase yourself a good quality spray paint in silver tones. Proceed to drive yourself over to Richie and tell him to cut you two pieces og thin metal the approx. length of your barrels on the 3200. Heigth would be whats necessary to acheive the rib heigth of a Special from the top of your 3200 barrels or the bottom of the rib where it connects. Proceed by applying JB weld to those thin strips and plaster them, one to each side of your present rib. Now me being who Iam what suggest pouring concrete mix with fine aggregate inbetween strips but anything that will set up and get hard will work. Now for the can of paint. Take stock off receiver and liberally spray receiver with silver paint. Once dry, reassemble gun. Now you will need to raise comb of stock inorder to complete mission. I believe you have an adjustable comb but will need extended posts inorder to get necessary heigth. Tom Larkin has these. If heigth needed for that chicken neck is still not acheivable with posts, then cut strips from old Tshirt to necessary heigth is acquired. Now while crude you will have something new that is remotely comparable to a K80 SPecial to fondle. But more importantly, you will have a conversation piece that will be the rage of trap club discussion wherever you attend.

Always remember there are various avenues to acheive fame and proclaim. One doesn't necessarily have to be the best shot in this game! But you may very well become one now :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

ronnie sutton k80