1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

K-80 Stock Remodeling Alterations

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by gun fitter, Jan 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

I thought this may interest some out there who don't want a custom gun but want their stock to feel a bit more comfortable. One of my customers Bob has large hands and the factory grips are almost never thick enough or long enough.

On this project we added some wood to the grip and recheckered it to make it thicker for more controle. The length of the grip was insufficent so we added a contrasting gripcap to keep the last finger from slipping under the grip.
    [​IMG]
    If you look closely you can just make out where the glue lines are in the checkering.
    [​IMG]
    You can make it out here in the picture but when in person it looks like grain if you didn't know better.
    [​IMG]
    even with the wood added his hand just fits the grip

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The completed set.

Work like this does require refinishing the complete stock set but it's still thousand less than a new stock.

Joe Goldberg

2. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

Very nice work Joe but your photography doesn't do your work justice. I saw the maple stock grip work that you did for Dave Robbins. Outstanding!

Ed Yanchok

3. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Joe,

Did you only increase the swell on the left side, or both?

Also do you add wood, or is it like a clear epoxy? Jon

4. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Just the left side it was hollow or had a belly.

It's real wood fit to or inlet to fit within the checkering lines or border,
    No filler but a bit of translucent brown epoxy to bond the new wood to the grip.

Joe

5. KennyRay

KennyRay Active Member

I had this gun in my hands last night. Looks and felt great though a little long for a short guy like me. Right hand palm swell felt good and I really liked the feel with some wood sanded out to permit a better feel for the upper palm and thumb. Looks like the front comb also had to be shaped as well.

If I had a big hand gunfitter, you would have my stock to work on too.

Bob only tested it with 6 rounds of trap last night. I shot 2 rounds with him.

6. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I don't have large hands but they are a little wide and I had the same problem with my little finger always being below the pistol grip, so when he refinished my stock, the stockmaker I used added a piece of buffalo horn to the grip.

The first photo shows how the stock fit my hand.

[​IMG]

I don't have a better shot for this purpose but you can see the extension in this one.

[​IMG]

Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

ed yanchok stocks