1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

K-80 SPECIAL

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by chiefjon, Feb 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

Give you a big tip for helping him...LOL

JON

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

I suggest that he call Kreighoff International and ask them what to do.

Pat Ireland

3. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Why does he look at the rib when he's shooting?

Ed

4. AveragEd

Seriously, I haven't had a figure-8 on a trap gun in many a year and many a gun. And I like it better that way as all the clutter of the gun is not in my view nearly as much. I also think shooters who feel they need a figure-8 tend to aim rather than point their shotguns. Maybe not, but that's my theory.

Ed

5. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

I think Zardo is trying to say is the Rib is Factory set to 70/30. The rib now has been adjusted all the way down which would/should be 90/10+. If you are close to KI in PA they offer free inital gun set-up for K-80 owners. It's an in house fitting but with no shooting involved. May be a good place to start.
    Also Simone is right. The Un-single has a long learning curve. Some shooters prefer the Top-single for that reason. But at current pricing of $6,000 it's a little hard to justify jumping to that. Dave T.

6. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Same here Ed. My Seitz is the first gun I've owned that allowed me to make F-8, but I still prefer to see about an 1/8" of rib. I've blacked out my mid-bead to eliminate all the visual clutter. See the bird, shoot the bird.

7. dverna

dverna Active Member

If he is breaking targets, does it matter?

Our brains adapt very quickly if we don't start to think too much.

Don

8. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

I too see about 1/8" between the beads of my K80 TS with the rib at the lowest setting and the comb raised to give me that setup. I also float the bird about 1/8" and after many trial and errors I always seem to re-adjust the gun to set up this way. Note that I can get a perfect F8 and bust birds without floating them but than I am aiming more than pointing as I have to concentrate on touching the bird with the front bead.

9. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

hoggy, thats a might fine float there guy! "I also float the bird about 1/8" and". If you were to "float" the bird a 1/16 inch or 1/32 would that also break the bird? That's about the smallest gap of floating a bird as I've ever heard of on a moving target! :) Hap

10. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

I bought a Trap Special at a trap shoot . The guy I bought the gun from only had it about a week and the price was very good . After two weeks I now know why it was so cheap . It had a straight stock with an ADJ. comb and no way did I ever get it adjusted so my eye was looking down the rib .

11. dverna

dverna Active Member

ALF-99
    I wish I could fall into a deal like that.

Just put a PFS on it and be happy.

I need a huge amount of cast off and I struggled with my K-80 for along time. Had the stock bent and it helped.

Got a second K-80 and put a PFS on it. Once I got it dialed in (used the Stock Fitting book by Rollin Oswald and help from two good shooters at the club) it is a bird breaking machine. It is a bit ugly with the PFS but I can live with that.

Don

12. AveragEd

Alf, to my knowledge (and I did a gun test on one of the first Trap Specials to come in the country), all of those guns come with a higher Monte Carlo stock with an adjustable comb. It sounds like someone put a skeet or sporting clays stocks on yours.

Ed

13. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

ED You can get a stock with off-set from Krieghoff but it has to be orderd that way . The gun I bought was off the shelf (in stock) so is had a neutral stock with right and left plam swells . It had an ADJ. Comb but I could not place my eye behind the rib . Luckey for me I did,t have any money in it and it sold very easy . I like the Trap Special so I bought a Preazzi MX-2005 that fits very well . The Preazzi has alot of off-set that I need .

14. AveragEd

Alf, I apologise - I took "straight" to mean non-Monte Carlo, not neutral.

You're right, Krieghoff stocks are very neutral right down to dual palm swells. I couldn't get enough comb adjustment out of the stocks on the several Krieghoffs I've owned and have a Wenig custom-fitted stock on the KX-5 I now shoot. But the Ottsville folks will graciously help owners who need offset wood although I've never taken them up on the service. We usually discover we need such help after we've gotten a nick in the factory stock or altered it in some way.

Ed

15. dverna

dverna Active Member

If he is breaking targets, does it matter?

Our brains adapt very quickly if we don't start to think too much.

Don

16. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

I too see about 1/8" between the beads of my K80 TS with the rib at the lowest setting and the comb raised to give me that setup. I also float the bird about 1/8" and after many trial and errors I always seem to re-adjust the gun to set up this way. Note that I can get a perfect F8 and bust birds without floating them but than I am aiming more than pointing as I have to concentrate on touching the bird with the front bead.

17. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

hoggy, thats a might fine float there guy! "I also float the bird about 1/8" and". If you were to "float" the bird a 1/16 inch or 1/32 would that also break the bird? That's about the smallest gap of floating a bird as I've ever heard of on a moving target! :) Hap

18. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

I bought a Trap Special at a trap shoot . The guy I bought the gun from only had it about a week and the price was very good . After two weeks I now know why it was so cheap . It had a straight stock with an ADJ. comb and no way did I ever get it adjusted so my eye was looking down the rib .

19. dverna

dverna Active Member

ALF-99
    I wish I could fall into a deal like that.

Just put a PFS on it and be happy.

I need a huge amount of cast off and I struggled with my K-80 for along time. Had the stock bent and it helped.

Got a second K-80 and put a PFS on it. Once I got it dialed in (used the Stock Fitting book by Rollin Oswald and help from two good shooters at the club) it is a bird breaking machine. It is a bit ugly with the PFS but I can live with that.

Don

20. AveragEd

Alf, to my knowledge (and I did a gun test on one of the first Trap Specials to come in the country), all of those guns come with a higher Monte Carlo stock with an adjustable comb. It sounds like someone put a skeet or sporting clays stocks on yours.

Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.