1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

K 80 Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by leftex, Feb 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leftex

leftex Active Member

When did Krieghoff change from the extractor with the retaining screw to the spring loaded ball setup?

Thanks,
    Wayne

2. Gregg535

Gregg535 Member

Probably just to make it easier and quicker to remove for cleaning. No tools needed ---- just give them a little tap with a small block of wood or something similar to drive them past the retaining ball.

3. leftex

leftex Active Member

My question was when, not why. I agree with your answer as to why.

4. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I think it was somewhere around 20,000 in the serial # range!!

5. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

about the same time they raised the POI on the trapgun top bbl.

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

Also, occasionally the small screws would back out just a little making the gun difficult to close. I remember the change but I can't put it in a time frame. Things that happen in the past seem to get jumbled up in my mind.

Pat Ireland

7. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Pat is correct - those screws backing out scored a lot of receiver interior walls.

I was also told (by Dieter Krieghoff, I believe) that screw-type ejectors were prone to breakage across the screw hole, so they changed the design. In fact, screw-type ejectors were under a Krieghoff lifetime replacement policy at one time and still may be. I had one break on one of my Model 32s and it did break across the hole.

The same thing happened with Model 32 hammers. When they were drilled for a release sear to be installed, they were weakened and often broke across that hole. K-80s used those hammers at first but the second-design hammer had the release sear forged as a part of the hammer.

Ed

8. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Look at that extractor slot--- if you notice it would take several machining operations with the old one and only one it looks like with the new one.

I hazard it was a combination of factors to change the extractor but I have never had an old one break but have seen a new one break

Its also easier to clean the old ones because you dont have to worry about that little spring and ball going flying

When- is hard to say becaue barrels could have been made and then not serial numbered or put on a gun even for quite awhile

I think I have seen a bunch as late as 23XXX

regards from Iowa

Gene

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

krieghoff extractor screws