1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

K-80 or KX-5?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Auditor, Apr 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Auditor

Auditor TS Member

Hi,

I have convinced myself that I need to "upgrade" my shooting equipment to one of the Kreighoffs. I have been shooting a Teknys for a few years now, and though it's only done me "dirty" once, (The rib fell off at the state shoot-electrical tape is my friend now) I think it might be time to step up.

The question is, K-80 or KX-5? What are the merits of one gun over the other?(Other than I could get a doubles barrel for the k-80) I do plan on shooting both of them soon, so that should tell me a lot. However, there are many of you out there that own and have shot both guns.

Which is best? Be honest, be dishonest, lie...which one takes me to nirvana?

2. krieghoffkrusher

krieghoffkrusher TS Member

No matter what brand gun you choose, if you plan on shooting both doubles and singles a single shot gun won't do you much good. Buy a combo and you can shoot the same gun for both events and I think there is a lot to be said about using the same gun.

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Whatever you decide to buy, find a nice used one and shoot it before you buy it. This way you will avoid a big disappointment. I agree with the above that a combo is your best bet. HMB

4. TomB

TomB Member

The K-80 will have a little less felt recoil to the face since the recoil on the lower barrel is more in line with the shoulder-not upward toward the face. plus I believe the K-80 is heavier which will reduce felt recoil. By all means, get a combo if you can afford it. Tom B

5. Jack L. Smith

Jack L. Smith Member

I too am interested in this thread as I wil be upgrading soon. Any ts.com Kx5 users)or ex users or new KX5 users input or comparisons will be really apreciated, thanks.

6. fritzi93

fritzi93 TS Member

I have one of each, and tend to shoot the KX-5 better on singles. Then again, if I had to shoot the K-80 all the time, I'm sure I'd adapt. Both are fitted to me as close to the same as I can get them.

Only you can say which one appeals to you more. Shoot them if possible. Both are first-class trap guns.

At any rate, now would be a good time to pick up a KX-5 at a good price.

7. K80Dude

K80Dude Member

Hmmm well I went from a Browning XT which is what I started with and quickly went to a Krieghoff KX5. I shot my first 100 straight with my KX5. My over all opinion of the KX5 is its a very good gun. I now shoot a K80. In my opinion you can't go wrong with either gun but the K80 has a couple of advantages and some disadvantages.

First the K80 will have a little bit less recoil but if the stock fits you well it is not much. If the K80 stock does not fit you it like any other shot gun is going to beat the crap out of you.

The K80 advantages in my opinion are: Diversity, you can buy other barrels other then a single barrel i.e. Unsingle. You can get a top single, over and under barrels. You can use it as a trap gun and then go and swap barrels and shoot sporting clays etc. The K80 also allows you to have a larger market to sell it if you ever choose to since you can sell it in parts, you can't do this with the KX5. The other advantage of the K80 is the option to upgrade in the future if you want a engraved receiver, top latch etc. There are also more K80's on the market then KX5's. The K80 takes less to open it then the KX5. When you open the KX5 the top lever is actually cocking your firing pin. With the K80 it is when you open it so the barrels are doing the work.

The advantage the KX5 has is cost of the shotgun. Cheaper for PM's. Handles very nicely yet differently then a K80 but similar. The KX5 tends to feel a bit different and since it has a shorter receiver does have a little different balance then the K80.

I would suggest you shoot both of them and see which one you like if possible. You have to decide if you will ever want to shoot doubles, sporting or skeet. If you do and want to do it with one gun then the answer is a K80 or similar gun like a Kolar. If your only going to shoot singles trap then it begins to be more of what you prefer. The KX5 has had a very good history for being reliable. There are only 5 moving parts in the gun so not much to go wrong, the K80 is a bit more complicated.

You will notice how they feel different when they lock up etc, the K80 is very unique with its top latch and has a different feel (not bad just different).

I will say my KX5 was a target crusher! For the price of new the KX5 is a killer deal. The KX5 used seems to be around $4k or so as where a K80 with an Unsingle is still hanging in the high $6k up to $8k depending on condition and age. So the KX5 is still a much better value if your only shooting singles trap.

Dave

8. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

The KX-5 will take a nose dive in resale value as they have quit making them, they have already come down in cost, they were $5400+ you can buy them now less than $4400 new, this is going to lower the price even more, I have heard they are going to put a higher rib on the KX-5 to get into a new area as the Kolar T/S high rib gun. and the K-80 Special rib height.

Look what happened to the Browning BT-100s when they closed them out for $900

My personal opinion is the late Model K-80s have a metalurgical problem as they are the ones with blown barrells, there were pictures of the blown Bbls on this web site, The Bbls were thin, not like a Ljutic, Kolar, Perazzi,
    Mach-one, Cole, or Infinity, there is meat as they use a thicker Mono-Bloc

Now this is my personal opinion only, but I think it has some merit.

I personally know of several that were replaced by Kreighoff one was owned by a lady trapshooter and it was a 2002 model.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

9. 3357

3357 Member

I now shoot a KX-5, I switched from an SKB 85tss unsingle. I have been very happy with the KX-5. It did take some time for me to adjust to the Kreighoff trigger as it is much faster and has no creep or slack as the SKB did. Once I relearned the right timing I have not looked back. I have a seperate doubles gun so the lack of o/u barrel is a non issue for me.

I chose the KX-5 over the K-80 as it felt better when I shot them side by side and I appreciate the much simpler mechanism of the KX-5. Jess

10. M R Ducks

M R Ducks Member

You can get a deal on a KX here soon - $4400 is just the current price - I bet they come in under $4K sooner than later. Shot your Teknys for doubles, skeet, sporting clays. I have never been able to shoot an O/U well (but I've also never shot a really pricey one - maybe their bbls both shoot where I look). I shoot a TMX for singles, and the Teknys Gold Trap for everything else. One bbl for me is mo' better.

Joe

11. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

I had a KX5 and had to sell it. I have arthritis in my right thumb joint and the KX5 cocks itself with the lever instead of the barrel. I liked it, but after 100 rounds the joint really talked to me. Based on the discontinuation, you could get a really good deal soon.

12. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

If you want to get competitive in doubles go with the combo. Either gun will work very well for 16's or caps. Both guns very reliable.

I shot a KX5 for a number of years before switching to a K-80 combo to help my doubles scores.

Enjoy whatever your decision.

Don

13. englishupland

englishupland Member

Buy a K32 and Ks/Kx5 both...

14. krieghoffkrusher

krieghoffkrusher TS Member

I've owned and shot both. Both are nice guns. I liked the handling of the KX-5 better. Less recoil with the K-80. I wondering if Krieghoff is having problems with their newer guns. Seems like a lot of blow-ups.

15. ink ball

ink ball Member

You oould always buy a K80 top single or an unsingle, and if you decide to expand into shooting trap doubles, you could then have a O/U barrel fitted to your receiver. This would keep your initial cash outlay lower than if you were to buy the combo straight away.
    I have previously owned a KX-5, and now own a K80. I can confidently say that the only gun that I like better than the KX-5 is a K80.

16. CharlesK80

CharlesK80 Member

Have both. Started in 2005 with the KX5. Would not sell it. But the future is the K80 Trap Special I bought in 2007. KX5 is like an old girlfriend.

The KX5 swings easier because it is lighter. Hard rights and lefts are easier to take with it.

K80 has an older and much more complicated trigger mechanism.

I also have a much older K80 (1980's)that I use for skeet. A comparison of the trigger mechanism between the older and the newer K80 triggers shows that Krieghoff does indeed make improvements as an ongoing procedure. But it is still very complicated. The KX5 remains very sturdy and simple with few moving parts. It has only one barrel.

If you first get the KX5 you will soon want the K80 TS.

If you first get the K80, you will never look back. But you will have missed another girlfriend.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.